Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike wouldn't start this morning, then i noticed that the plug attached to the clutch safety switch was almost falling off. i pushed it back in and everything was fine. i did, however, notice that at the far end of handlebar travel, the plug kinda rubbed against the left side switch wires and that it was only a matter of time before the plug popped off again. it's an '02 with under 7000 miles, and it doesn't look like the previous owner did any cable re-routing. but it doesn't look like there's any way that the plug won't rub against the left side switch wires. is this a problem on anyone else's 650s?

i'm pretty used to bikes that don't even have clutch safety switches, so i'm pretty set on just sticking a wire in the plug and taping it off so that it's "always on." can anyone convince me not to do this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don"t do it. the part is only $11 at any dealership.
i did it for a while i think it makes you look like you
don't know how to fix a simple problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have heard that it will lower your rev limiter because it thinks teh clutch is in all the time...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts

Hmm. I can (and have) ripped an engine apart and put it back together.

I don't think shorting out that weak link of a safety bypass makes me look incompetent. I did it because it will fail again and didn't wish to fix it AGAIN.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
LMFAO. Where do people come up with some of this $hit? Mine's been jumped and wires tucked back inside the harness it came out of pretty much ever since I got the bike. I doubt many on here would say that it makes me (or my bike) look like I don't know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

I have heard that it will lower your rev limiter because it thinks teh clutch is in all the time...
BS.

my bike wouldn't start this morning, then i noticed that the plug attached to the clutch safety switch was almost falling off. i pushed it back in and everything was fine. i did, however, notice that at the far end of handlebar travel, the plug kinda rubbed against the left side switch wires and that it was only a matter of time before the plug popped off again. it's an '02 with under 7000 miles, and it doesn't look like the previous owner did any cable re-routing. but it doesn't look like there's any way that the plug won't rub against the left side switch wires. is this a problem on anyone else's 650s?

i'm pretty used to bikes that don't even have clutch safety switches, so i'm pretty set on just sticking a wire in the plug and taping it off so that it's "always on." can anyone convince me not to do this?
Jump it, move it out of the way, and call it a day. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would assume every SV650 race bike has the wires jumped (as does mine), which causes no problem at all with the bike. I find the clutch safety switch a pain in the butt on any motorcycle. It's for people who try to start their bikes while standing beside it and don't bother to check if the bike is in neutral. The sidestand safety switch can also cause problems on older bikes (pretty much every late 80's Kawasaki I ever owned), and can be replaced with a jumper wire plug. Install the jumper wire and stow the wires, eliminating something that will cause more annoyance/problems than serve as a safety element.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i only had to ride off once with the sidestand down on my '71 CB500 to never do it again (luckily, it didn't end in a crash story). nevertheless, i'll keep my sidestand safety switch installed, just in case.

the clutch safety switch otoh, it seems kind of overkill. i rarely start my bike in gear anyway. even though i ride modern bikes, i learned on that '71 Honda. in my mind there's no such thing as safety switches and i still have to kick it over to start it (anyone working on a kickstart conversion for SVs?).

cheers and thanks for the input.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry I'm bring this thread back from the dead, but I just don't know the terminology. Jumping the wires? Does that mean just twisting them together? I'm having a clutch safety switch issue where the bike won't fire with the clutch completely closed. If I crack it the slightest amount it fires. I'd like to bypass this.

Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My switch is giving me some trouble too. I greased it up, lined everything up perfectly, etc., but it just won't signal that the clutch lever is pulled when it actually is.

Taking the lever switch out, It is just a small nub that is like a light switch. When the clutch lever is pulled, the circuit is completed, signaling that it is in fact pulled. Electrically, my switch still works (I pulled it out and manually made the contact), but am considering just filing the bump down while the switch is fixed in the "on" position. This way, I don't have to cut any wires or do any re-routing.

I think by "jumping the wires" they mean connecting the two wires together on the female end of the plug.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes, jumping is just connecting the two wires to close the circuit. Mine went out the other day but I just paid $10 for a new one.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
My switch is giving me some trouble too. I greased it up, lined everything up perfectly, etc., but it just won't signal that the clutch lever is pulled when it actually is.

Taking the lever switch out, It is just a small nub that is like a light switch. When the clutch lever is pulled, the circuit is completed, signaling that it is in fact pulled. Electrically, my switch still works (I pulled it out and manually made the contact), but am considering just filing the bump down while the switch is fixed in the "on" position. This way, I don't have to cut any wires or do any re-routing.

I think by "jumping the wires" they mean connecting the two wires together on the female end of the plug.

On an 05, it WILL make a difference if the ECM thinks the clutch is pulled all the time.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
On an 05, it WILL make a difference if the ECM thinks the clutch is pulled all the time.
+1. On second-gens the ECM uses a different fuel map when the clutch is pulled.

Also, you don't have to cut any wires to bypass the switch. You can insert a piece of wire into the plug, or even use a piece of paper clip. Then just cover with some heat-shrink tubing or electric tape.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I disabled mine when I changed my bars. Never had a bike that I had to pull the clutch in to start. I always keep my bike in neutral.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, this was one of the first questions I ever asked in this board.

my problem with the clutch switch was that the connectors rubbed against some of the cables when the bars were turned a certain amount. therefore, there was no way that this problem was ever going to truly go away. eventually, the rubbing would cause the connectors to disconnect again.

also, the Suzuki clutch switch is pretty lame IMHO. instead of a simple switch like the front brake switch which is activated by a spring loaded button that completes the circuit when the lever is pulled in, Suzuki uses a weird instantaneous type of switch. you only have to pull in the clutch momentarily to activate it. it's also easy to install the switch backwards. granted, it only takes a minute or two to take it back out and put it in the right way, but it seems overly engineered.

I have my switch permanently jumped and have no problem wih it. I use a wire to jump it (not a paper clip or piece of tin foil) and it's wrapped neatly in shrink tubing. I also don't think it makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be doing this today- my clutch switch is going bad. It's not a **** toilet- I shouldn't have to jiggle the handle to get it to work! ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I'll be doing this today- my clutch switch is going bad. It's not a **** toilet- I shouldn't have to jiggle the handle to get it to work! ;D
there is an adjustment on the switch mounting

the switch is not going bad, your clutch perch is wearing out if you can "jiggle the handle" even a brand new switch will require a jiggle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts