Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get an SV1000s and the owner is telling me the clutch rod is broken...

Anyone familiar with this? As you can imagine, I'm a new rider, and not quite familiar with the mechanics of a bike. I'm no stranger to working on cars, but I can only think that working on bike is just the same, if not easier since everything is basically there in front of you.

Is this something that I can do myself, or would it be wiser for me to just take it to a shop?

Any help is appreciated.. thanks!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are comfortable with working on cars, then you shouldn't have too much of an issue with performing work on your (soon to be) bike.

As long as you have a service manual handy, then you shouldn't run into too many issues.

http://www.edubs.net/bikestuff/sv1000/sv1000_2003ServiceManual/
(2003 Manual)

Under Engine, you'll find how to remove the Clutch Rod. Seems pretty straight forward. I never had to remove mine so I can't answer that one honestly.

Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
about the only thing that'll break that rod is a FLUNG CHAIN!!
i'd look for some case damage also!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would suspect that there's nothing that a good cleaning won't fix. Chain lube and road goo get on the rod and prevent it from working properly....making idots think that something's broken. Take it apart and see for yourself before you assume that it is so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys.

The guy I'm getting the bike from has never ridden it. So he doesn't know what or how it happened. A friend owed him some money and couldn't pay. So the bike was given as payment, in that condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts