Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I'm planning on a 600-800 mile mountain trip next weekend. About a month ago I did a 500 mile day trip to the same area. When I was really flogging my SV up the mountains (1st/2nd gear high rpms), I noticed an occasional whiff of what smelled like clutch burning. Only during the really high load stuff. I never felt it slip at all. I further noticed that my clutch lever seemed to "lose" freeplay when going WOT up some major inclines. Does anybody have any idea about how damaging this is?

The bike has just over 40,000 miles, FWIW. The clutch is adjusted properly (though at just about the end of the range of adjustment at both ends) hopefully just a cable stretching

Question #2: Do you replace the metal plates when you do a clutch job?
Question #3: Do you adjust the clutch when the engine is hot/cold or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think you replace the whole clutch package when you do a clutch. I adjust mine constantly. Pretty much you just want to make sure you have the freeplay so you arent tugging on the cable constantly. I would wait to replace the clutch until you feel it slip...but that is just me. You might want to mix in some better (tougher) springs too.
ac

1 - 2 of 2 Posts