Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i needed to tighten up the clutch lever today. unfortunately i had let it get way to sloppy. i loosened up the two nuts by the lever, screwed the outside one out and then retightened the large inside one to lock it all in place. the lever now has the proper amount of "play" but i took it out for a short trip tonight and the engagement point of the clutch is way out there. before adjusting it the clutch started engaging somewhere around halfway or a little before. but now it doesn't engage until you are most of the way out.

is there a way to pick where you want the engaging point to be? i don't remember it being like this when i first got it.

also since i'm on the subject of clutches. when you are sitting still and rev the engine. not a whole lot but give it just a little twist and release. if you don't wait for the revs to get back down close to idle, if you try to engage first does it make a sound like teeth of gears skipping across each other and not engage? for some reason this seems to be happening now when it did not before.

looking at my factory manual, do i need to adjust the clutch cable down at the clutch? instead of up on the lever. could this possibly solve both of my questions?

some info on the bike - it is an '05 SVS that i bought new in february. it has just over 16k on it.

thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
The clutch is going to fully engage at the end of the levers non-sloppy travel. So by putting the clutch lever back into spec, you also pushed out the engagement point back to spec, which is where it should've been in the first place. Unless ya want it closer to the grip.

Putting the bike in gear with revs way up there just isnt good. Its grinding cause it can't mesh.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
proper clutch adjustment requires both an adjustrment at the clutsh end on the push rod, and at the lever end for the cable adjustment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts