Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I encountered random shifting problems at my SV. Sometimes it was shifting soo smooth and sometimes it was draggin and shifting was a nightmare. It was random...did all the things, adjusted cable slack, adjusted the clutch worm (that is near the front sprocket) etc. I called a guy who is a mechanic and he told me that he and his dad had 2 Sv650 and he knows the issue. He also told me that he encountered the same problem at other bikes. I've been at his shop and he removed my clutch cover/basket and extracted 2 rings. Then he mounted all back excepting the two rings (parts 8 and 9). The bike now runs smoothly and it's shifting easily. He told me that those rings were carving in the clutch basket and shifting was a mess due to this thing. (Or at least this is what I understood). Now my question: removing those rings can affect the bike in a negative way on a long term?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Those rings are there for a reason, if your shifting was bad, I think that it was for a different problem, and removing them just covered up the issue. I'm no machanic, so it could be that whatever I'm saying is completely wrong, but I think that if a part is designed to work in a certain way, it should be left as such. Those rings are not the problem IMO, now that are gone, the issue has subsided, but I bet I new one will pop up because now you're running a clutch without two of its original components. But again, I am no mechanic, I'm just saying what I'm thinking through logic reasoning, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those rings are there for a reason, if your shifting was bad, I think that it was for a different problem, and removing them just covered up the issue. I'm no machanic, so it could be that whatever I'm saying is completely wrong, but I think that if a part is designed to work in a certain way, it should be left as such. Those rings are not the problem IMO, now that are gone, the issue has subsided, but I bet I new one will pop up because now you're running a clutch without two of its original components. But again, I am no mechanic, I'm just saying what I'm thinking through logic reasoning, I could be wrong.
You might be right, but by removing those rings shifting problems are gone, odd or not. He said to me that he made this thing to his motorcycles and had no problems. I am curious if the aftermarket clutch kits have those rings.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I'd be wary of the fact that they come like that from the factory and are known to work 100% as described.
I think by removing those parts and saying "it's fixed" then you're avoiding fixing the real problem by applying a band-aid fix.

Take it to a real mechanic and figure out why it won't work properly using all of the factory-installed parts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be wary of the fact that they come like that from the factory and are known to work 100% as described.
I think by removing those parts and saying "it's fixed" then you're avoiding fixing the real problem by applying a band-aid fix.

Take it to a real mechanic and figure out why it won't work properly using all of the factory-installed parts.
I asked someone who's a Suzuki mechanic, I hope he'll answer soon.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Those rings are the wave washer - their purpose is to provide a bit of tension and act to absorb a little of the 'shock' when you release and engage the clutch and prevent clutch shudder. (I believe, I could be wrong)

You're best off getting a new one, rather than running nothing in there.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
You might be right, but by removing those rings shifting problems are gone, odd or not. He said to me that he made this thing to his motorcycles and had no problems. I am curious if the aftermarket clutch kits have those rings.
I think that the rings became the problem due to a previous issue.

Probably the first issue was forcing these rings to rub against the clutch basket, which then developed some type of groove, where the rings got caught, causing defective shifting. Now that those rings are removed, nothing gets stuck in the groove, but the initial issue is still present... Probably a new clutch assembly would solve your problem

·
Banned
855 Posts
Perhaps warped plates that caused rings to wear a groove in basket? I would say check all the fiber and steel plates for abnormal wear, then check the basket for notching/excessive wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts