Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my mom was backing out when she hit the sv. She also left the bike just laying there in the middle of the street. but whatever.. it's not a big deal i guess. My real problem is the clutch issue that has risen from this little hit and run. I had recently adjust the clutch and all was well. After this hit there is an inch of play on the lever. It's ridiculous. Right before the lever hits the handle bar does it get firm and you get some clutch disengagement. Just enough to shift at higher rpms. In low rpms or at a stop you cant change gears at all. My adjustment on the clutch is all the way out, and the adjust on the lever it self is screwed out all the way. What the **** happened here? I've fallen a couple times at higher speeds and all the bike got was some scratches. Now the sv sees a slight bump and the clutch goes out of wack? I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
She also left the bike just laying there in the middle of the street.
This sounds like a much bigger problem IMO.

As for the clutch- yes a bent lever (bent where the cable joins it) could cause weird things like that.

If its bent, instead of going to stock buy some of these:

http://434racer.com/Products.html

Hes a member here too- "PainfullySlow" - But 50 bucks gets you a damn nice set of levers.

Also make sure the cable didn't get pinched or kinked someplace, if its dragging at all that might be the problem too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
post a picture of the clutch cable where it meets the upper adjuster/lever, as well as a picture of the lower adjuster where it meets the clutch. Your issue has to be in one of those or the clutch actuator itsself

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lever bending makes sense. THe end of the lever where it is rounded like a ball did break off, but I didnt think much of it. I will order new levers and see how it goes. If the problem persists I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
the piece the lever goesinta...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

with this adjustment it used to be fine. I had to remove the bottom bolt and keep screwing the top bolt so the cable housing threads could go up further to build more tension.. somewhere around the middle of where that thing holds it. Now its fine. But I guess even in this picture it's kind of extreme. So my question is, is my clutch worn? I do have like 40k on the bike. But the thing is, even though I had to remove the bottom bolt the clutch acts fine. No slippage or anything. I have this mentality that a clutch is bad when it starts slipping under on load, the SV just grabs and you can feel it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
^
The worm drive will only spin so far with a lever pull. Levers, fulcrums & etc.
Taking up slack on the cable adjustment would mean that the cable is stretching or strands are breaking.
What does the lever end of the cable adjustment and button on the cable end look like?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^
The worm drive will only spin so far with a lever pull. Levers, fulcrums & etc.
Taking up slack on the cable adjustment would mean that the cable is stretching or strands are breaking.
What does the lever end of the cable adjustment and button on the cable end look like?

well at the lever end it's not as bad, maybe 1/4. But I did have to remove so much slack that I had to remove the lower bolt and basically keep that upper. How often do cables go bad? I guess it does make sense if the cable has stretched. Fortunately it wont cost a fortune.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New cable came in and I installed it. Same problemo... I used a motion pro cable by the way, which I figured would be a decent quality cable at the very least.

Still waiting for the levers to arrive.. THe wait is kinda killing me. I'm hoping the levers will magically fix this entire problem but at the same time in the back of my head im kind of doubtful. My clutch has always been like this. I just thought this was normal until this incident got me searching on the forums and what not. I took the lever out and analyzed it. It kind of bends down starting half way in the middle to the end(facing the out side). So other than some discomfort from holding it I dont think it's mechanically effecting anything.

I'm kind of starting to get ready to throw this bike off a cliff or something.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way, the actual unit that gets pulled, twists and pushes the rod into the engine to disengage the clutch. How Much does it generally need to twist to disengage? When there is no tension on it, is it supposed to have slack?

·
Registered
968 Posts
By the way, the actual unit that gets pulled, twists and pushes the rod into the engine to disengage the clutch. How Much does it generally need to twist to disengage? When there is no tension on it, is it supposed to have slack?
mine doesn't. i usually tighten it to where it JUST moves the lever, then i take the nut back a little.

and it doesn't really move that far to disengage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
your lever isnt likely to fix it unless its really galled where the cable attaches, from your picture it seems to be seated completely. Maybe post a pic from the underside of the lever where you can see the attachment?

My thought now goes to the worm drive, i would think if the clutch is worn, springs are bad, etc, you would have the opposite problem, your clutch would slip. I dont know much about the worm drive on these but maybe its not engaging as early as it should?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your lever isnt likely to fix it unless its really galled where the cable attaches, from your picture it seems to be seated completely. Maybe post a pic from the underside of the lever where you can see the attachment?

My thought now goes to the worm drive, i would think if the clutch is worn, springs are bad, etc, you would have the opposite problem, your clutch would slip. I dont know much about the worm drive on these but maybe its not engaging as early as it should?
does the clutch drive rod or whatever its called wear? I thought about it and I dont see how it would, thought i may be wrong. My problem right now is that despite this much adjustment i still cant find neutral that easily.because I guess there is not enough disengagement. If I remove the bottom bolt and continue putting more tension I will and it will be very nice again. But the clutch wont slip so that makes me think its not the clutch

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just bought my first sv so I'm not all that familiar with the worm drive these use, like anything I'm sure it can wear but I'm not sure what's normal. I would have to take it apart and look

1 - 18 of 18 Posts