Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, New sv650s rider here! I got a problem with the clutchcable that i can't seem to solve. A few days ago the bike started moving at the traffic Light while the clutch was pulled in, when checking the cable i noticed a fracture in the cable. So i ordered a new cable online, after installing the cable it was working perfect!

But.... the next day i could barely shift the bike into gear, so i tried adjusting the cable, but there is no more tension. Even with the adjustment at it's maximum, it's really strange because the day before it was working Just fine.

I know that the sv650s has a different clutch cable compared to the sv650. I'm 100% certain that i ordered the cable for the sv650s...

Anyone here who had a similar problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a read here,

HTH :)
Thanks for the reply! I had a similar problem with the Worm-Screw, but i only had 3 balls left and it was completely worn out.... So i have also replaced the Worm-Screw with a brand new one. But that was after i replaced the clutch cable and was having trouble with shifting again, figured that the worn out worm-screw would be the problem. And now it just seems like the clutch cable suddenly got longer, and that sounds pretty weird... Almost seems like the cable is streched out form the busted worm-screw. So i have ordered a new clutch cable online, just to be sure i have the right one. I will let you know what the result is!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I had a similar problem with the Worm-Screw, but i only had 3 balls left and it was completely worn out.... So i have also replaced the Worm-Screw with a brand new one. But that was after i replaced the clutch cable and was having trouble with shifting again, figured that the worn out worm-screw would be the problem. And now it just seems like the clutch cable suddenly got longer, and that sounds pretty weird... Almost seems like the cable is streched out form the busted worm-screw. So i have ordered a new clutch cable online, just to be sure i have the right one. I will let you know what the result is!
As with all 2nd hand Motorcycles we don't know how long some of the parts have been there and how they may have been abused. It's quite possible what you say is true and the cable has stretched as all parts have to work harder when one part is weak in a system.

Don't forget to read the,"Clutch Mantra" thread/link as setting up the lifter and at the Clutch lever end is important but once set right they are usually good for a great many miles. Also don't over-fill the engine oil. Keep it at the Mid-way point in the glass. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As with all 2nd hand Motorcycles we don't know how long some of the parts have been there and how they may have been abused. It's quite possible what you say is true and the cable has stretched as all parts have to work harder when one part is weak in a system.

Don't forget to read the,"Clutch Mantra" thread/link as setting up the lifter and at the Clutch lever end is important but once set right they are usually good for a great many miles. Also don't over-fill the engine oil. Keep it at the Mid-way point in the glass. :)
Yup, with most second hand vehicles you just have to be lucky.... I'm using this tutorial from youtube:
All her videos on regular maintenance are quite usefull!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well the second clutch cable fixed the problem! Apparently the first new one was completely streched because of the busted worm screw, and that in 1 day of riding... Thanks for your response and ride safe!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Glad it's all sorted and enjoy the ride. Just clean and lube the lifter say every oil change. I lube my Clutch and Front brake lever with GT85 PYFE lube around once a month and my gear lever and rear brake lever linkages :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts