Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my clutch was acting funny and i figured it was in the slave or master. however in the middle of a ride, i changed gears and my basket cover went out far enough to lose contact with the first metal plate in the clutch plate set. the teeth didnt line up and hte first plate fell down not allowing the basket to go back. when squeezing the clutch it built up pressure and the handle would not budge because the piston had no pressure from clutch basket. i took of clutch cover and loosen the spring screws about 2 or 3 turns and the basket moves enough to realign the plate teeth with the cover teeth and everything when right back to normal. now is this a case of the springs not being torqued enough or were they over torqued. i could hear my basket rubbing against the cover when i pulled the clutch handle to the point of resistance. im kinda leaning towards not enough torque but im pretty sure i torqued them down to specs with a mechanic. also the clutch basket did get pulled but i do not have a basket pulling tool to hold it for the torque down to be accurate. can i put the bike in gear and let that force be enough for the basket torque down? i believe its around 100 foot pounds of torque off the top of my head.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Your clutch slave should only be able to push the rod enough to disengage the plates. If yours is screwed up (you have been having problems there, yes?) it can push the rod too far...which will disengage the hat. The spring retaining bolts bottom out when you torque them, so it's not likely that you have a problem there.

The basket nut is best torqued with the right tools, but I've used an impact to do the deed. If you match up the punched mark on the nut with where it was when you removed it....you should be close.

·
Vendor
182 Posts
I have used an air impact wrench to tighten the "big nut" the last 25 times or so I have had a basket on/off. No problems, kinda like a lug nut on a car. Just hit it till it snugs, don't hold it on there. The direction of rotation favors keeping the nut tight and bending the tab down makes it near fool proof.

Of course those that must do it by the book can enjoy trying to hold everything from turning while they wrestle with the torque wrench to get it to the exact torque recommended ;D

·
Registered
45 Posts
i put it in sixth gear, and stepped on the rear brake, then torqued to 70-80 pounds, something like that with a torque wrench
not too difficult

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
68 foot pounds is what the manual says my friend put it on with a impact wrench and the basket shredded a leather strap we were using to hold the basket for torquing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my spring screws were not torqued down correctly. tightened them the right way and no more plate falling out of place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts