Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a lot of time getting the clutch right with the mantra.
It just didnt work my shifter kept on hanging.
Copy paste with translation from my other forum

The clutch issue seems to have been resolved now. What I have done is loosened everything worm cable above cable below. The worm is screwed in quarter out, the adjuster is turned half way at the handle, then the lower cable has been adjusted to a nice bite point, the cable has been given some play at the adjuster. The N is buttery smooth and the shifting is really smooth. This has worked and all problems are gone now. Drove 200 km and had no problems. Not even when stationary. The engine does not crawl forward. Strange that it works this way. That's not how service manual indicates it. I find it strange but it all runs like new now. Lubricating the shifter linkage had no effect.

Previously, when I went to 1 just before the traffic light, I also heard a strange screeching sound. This is now also gone.
So if anyone has problems with a hooking clutch try it!

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
That is a wacky solution. Just follow what the service manual says. Clutch adjustment is a simple operation, there is no magic.

Reactions: Rock Dodger

·
Registered
48 Posts
if it's an old cable then what you've done is probably shifted the cable inside the tube a bit further out, just past the point at which it was binding/kinked before. It's a good way of getting smoother actuation without replacing with a new cable. The adjustment stated in the manual is for a new cable of course. I use a similar trick in order to move the bite point closer to the handlebar as I have small hands and weak joints lol

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Replacing a stiff clutch cable is the best $20 you will ever spend.

I replace mine as periodic maintenance every five years or so. New clutch cable... ahhhh. : -)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts