Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike want to go forward if i have the clutch in.
I have calibrated the clutch and worm a few times now.
Looks like the plates are sticking or something.
When i give some throttle it will shift. What is wrong with the bike?
Is it best to put in new plates?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Providing you DO have the clutch adjusted properly... Warped plated and/or a notched basket can cause dragging.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Providing you DO have the clutch adjusted properly... Warped plated and/or a notched basket can cause dragging.
Clutch I did at the sprocket adjustment losen it all, golden bolt in quarter back lock it. Set the adjustment to 12mm on the handle all looks good adjusted.
Problem is sometimes it Is there sometimes not. Gearbox works great. Could it be a drive chain that's to lose? I think that is not make it not gonna shift....

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
What is the background on this? Has it gotten steadily worse over a period of time? Did it happen all of a sudden? Have you done an oil change with a different oil recently? Changed levers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the background on this? Has it gotten steadily worse over a period of time? Did it happen all of a sudden? Have you done an oil change with a different oil recently? Changed levers?
Nothing has changed. Tried 2 oils putoline and procycle. Both has the same issues. It's so strange sometimes it's there.. sometimes not. I guess it's the clutch plates wrecked.

So strange sometimes it's there sometimes not

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Nothing has changed. Tried 2 oils putoline and procycle. Both has the same issues. It's so strange sometimes it's there.. sometimes not. I guess it's the clutch plates wrecked.

So strange sometimes it's there sometimes not
What year is the bike? How many miles? Is it a "new to you" bike? Or have you had it a while.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year is the bike? How many miles? Is it a "new to you" bike? Or have you had it a while.
It's a 2003 sv like new. No rust or whatever. Bike is really like new. It has 14000 KMS on it not sure how many miles that is.

Maybe I adjusted the clutch Wrong at first time so I wrecked the plates. Strange is it really does not slip and accelerates like a pro

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
14000 kilometers is 8700 miles (my '09 has 10700 miles on it). The only way you can "wreck the plates" is if it's been slipping long enough to overheat them to the point they warp bad enough to drag. You will surely know this as when you open the throttle, the motor will rev up and the speed won't increase accordingly. On a bike with that low mileage, there is no real reason why the clutch should be dragging to the point of being a problem other than (baring serious abuse) being out of adjustment or having a non compliant lever. If you have a stock lever, I would guess (and guess is all I can do without being there to see it in person) it's in the adjustment. If all else fails, break down and take it to a shop to have them figure what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
14000 kilometers is 8700 miles (my '09 has 10700 miles on it). The only way you can "wreck the plates" is if it's been slipping long enough to overheat them to the point they warp bad enough to drag. You will surely know this as when you open the throttle, the motor will rev up and the speed won't increase accordingly. On a bike with that low mileage, there is no real reason why the clutch should be dragging to the point of being a problem other than (baring serious abuse) being out of adjustment or having a non compliant lever. If you have a stock lever, I would guess (and guess is all I can do without being there to see it in person) it's in the adjustment. If all else fails, break down and take it to a shop to have them figure what's wrong with it.
Thanks for your long message.
The clutch does not slip when I full throttle it. It goes to 100 kmpu in no time in second gear.

What I did.

Losen the cable at sprocket , turned in the cable at the handle. Losen the worm. Put the worm in and a quarter back. Lock the worm while holding it with 🪛 tightened up the sprocket adjust to 12 mm on the ball of the lever. I'm sure it's 12 mm. Tightened the bolts at the sprocket adjustment. Lever is all in it's 12 mm on the lever. Should be good to go right ?

Am I correct to put the push rod in till it stops ? Or do I stop when I feel resistance? When it stops the screwdriver hole is looking horizontal

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Thanks for your long message.
The clutch does not slip when I full throttle it. It goes to 100 kmpu in no time in second gear.

What I did.

Losen the cable at sprocket , turned in the cable at the handle. Losen the worm. Put the worm in and a quarter back. Lock the worm while holding it with 🪛 tightened up the sprocket adjust to 12 mm on the ball of the lever. I'm sure it's 12 mm. Tightened the bolts at the sprocket adjustment. Lever is all in it's 12 mm on the lever. Should be good to go right ?
Yeah, sounds like you have it set correctly.
Here is an "unofficial" suggestion.. You don't have to have 12mm of end play at your lever. As long as you have end play, you're good. I set mine at around 5mm, give or take a couple.
And the real dark web suggestion.. You can go a little tighter on the worm screw than 1/4 turn. You can likely go in to 1/8 turn without any problems. It will tighten up the push rod a bit, and further reducing the draw needed to release the clutch. BUT!.. Approach that with extreme caution! I'm just throwing it out there, not saying you "should" do it. The lever free play thing is good. The push rod adjustment, at your own peril.. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, sounds like you have it set correctly.
Here is an "unofficial" suggestion.. You don't have to have 12mm of end play at your lever. As long as you have end play, you're good. I set mine at around 5mm, give or take a couple.
And the real dark web suggestion.. You can go a little tighter on the worm screw than 1/4 turn. You can likely go in to 1/8 turn without any problems. It will tighten up the push rod a bit, and further reducing the draw needed to release the clutch. BUT!.. Approach that with extreme caution! I'm just throwing it out there, not saying you "should" do it. The lever free play thing is good. The push rod adjustment, at your own peril.. ;)
Tried both 1/8 and 1/4 there both the same.
Do I have to put the worm in all the way till it stops or till I feel it's hitting lightly? Maybe theres a fault ?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Tried both 1/8 and 1/4 there both the same
Ok. One thing that hasn't been confirmed. You DO have an OEM or known aftermarket (CRG, ASV, etc..) lever?

If so, you may well have an internal issue of some sort that will have to be looked into.
I'm pretty much out of ideas otherwise..🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. One thing that hasn't been confirmed. You DO have an OEM or known aftermarket (CRG, ASV, etc..) lever?

If so, you may well have an internal issue of some sort that will have to be looked into.
I'm pretty much out of ideas otherwise..🤷‍♂️
I have the stock lever. It's all original even the exhaust is original. Might be the basket or the plates. I think the plates are wrecked somehow...

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I have the stock lever. It's all original even the exhaust is original. Might be the basket or the plates. I think the plates are wrecked somehow...
In order to check the plates you'll have to take the clutch completely apart. Better know exactly what you're doing there..
I have serious doubts as to the plates being damaged (and there's no way the basket could be bad) on a completely stock bike with 8700 miles. But, stranger things have happened. I'd say to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In order to check the plates you'll have to take the clutch completely apart. Better know exactly what you're doing there..
I have serious doubts as to the plates being damaged (and there's no way the basket could be bad) on a completely stock bike with 8700 miles. But, stranger things have happened. I'd say to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed.
Yes next week it goes to the shop. It will cost 450 euro to replace the entire clutch. Plates steel plates springs.
It could be possible I adjusted it wrong the first time. My oil was black as fuck in 1000 KMS. Maybe the clutch dragged and its totally wasted....

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
What if I take the push rod out and inspect? Will the oil be falling out?
Just leave it alone and take it to a shop. You go to taking stuff apart that you can't get back together and that 450 euro bill can quickly double. 😄

1 - 20 of 41 Posts