Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the clutch is engaged in the first gear, isn't the tire supposed to spin freely?

I was always under the impression that it did until I had the bike up on stands and realized that while the tire did rotate, it took a wee bit of effort compared to if it was completely in neutral. I tried adjusting the cable but still could not get it to the point where the tire freely spins.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
1st, get the terminology correct, when you pull the lever in, you are disengaging the clutch

wet multiplate clutches will still have friction when disengaged, especially when cold, as the oil warms up, the friction will be less, but still some

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
no. just like if you lift the rear wheel with the engine running and in neutral, the wheel will still spin slowly. You have a bunch of metal parts spinning in oil. The bit of oil that's sloshing around in the trans will turn the gears. you wouldn't notice it if you were rolling compared to neutral though, it's minimal friction but still a bit of friction.

the only adjustment you need to do with the clutch, is that you have a bit of free-play in the lever in the engaged position (all the way out). Otherwise, your clutch will never fully engage, and you're stretching the cable

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yeah I recently put a new clutch cable on my 1st Gen at the start of the season (old one had a kink in it) and didn't adjust it properly. I had the same initial impression you did until I took it to the shop down the road and they said I had it way too tight (which was shocking to me) and fixed it for a few bucks.

Live and learn I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts