Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6 hrs away from home (Outer Banks NC) and my clutch cable broke this morning. What are my options if I can't get a 2003 sv650 naked clutch cable? it's Sunday so all the shops/dealers are closed. I plan on calling them tomorrow first thing, but they might not have one. Will a cable from another bike fit? Does anyone know the lenght of the cable? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running a clutch cable from a EX500 Ninja on mine. Quick search on Ron Ayers lists the same part #58200-17G00 for 03-07 SVs. If the cable broke at the end, you might be able to have a shop crimp/solder another end on.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If it's at the lever end, some vice grips to secure it to the lever until you can get it where you need to go work, too. Ask me how I know :)

Incidentally, there's always a pair of vice grips in the tail of my SV and now there is a spare clutch cable in there as well - been there!

Good luck, man.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
This guy ^ is correct, you need a bicycle shop, buy a universal brake cable......use the barrell end on the upper connection, at the clutch lever, then route the cable thru your OLD housing after cutting the opposite end off of the new cable to length, then get a 10ga. electrical crimp connector,(auto parts store) for the lower end connection, you'll use this to secure the cable in the lower linkage from pulling out when you pull the clutch, for extra measure , i put a small nut ,bolt & washer crimping the cable inbetween the washer & linkage.......worked good for me, got me home , over 300mi. as iv'e been in your shoes before.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the good info, sadly... a storm came in after posting this. No internet connection on phone or hotel! wish I had seen your post. Long story short, another rider came to my rescue and took a couple of minutes to teach me how to ride clutchless... that is how I made the 5.5 hour ride back home. Motorcyclist are like Marines (Ooh rah!), they take care of each other. I hope I can give back one day myself. Ride safe everybody!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts