Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm having a heck of a time isolating this weird noise that just started occurring this season (13k miles on '03 svs). it only happens when first starting off from a dead stop...clunk, clunk...and sometimes a third clunk. can't really feel anything, and bike seems to be running just fine otherwise, but it almost seems to be coming from the fork. closest sound i can relate it to is when i've nailed a big ass pothole and the front end makes an awful clunk. front end is still completely stock...i know, i know...i should have dumped that crap oil out of there long ago...and replacing the springs wouldn't be a bad idea either.
i realize i dont have a lot of info to give, but this noise is really bugging the crap outta me and i was just hoping maybe someone might have some insight to share as to what i should check. i'm not absolutely positive, but pretty damn sure the noise is NOT coming from the engine. i don't really feel anything, and it's not really loud, even kinda hard to hear with a helmet on if you're not listening for it, but it's definitely there....
thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check your chain for tight spots (most probable). Then take a good look at the sprockets (doubtful). Last guess would be wheel bearings.

·
Registered
476 Posts
andyauger said:
Check your chain for tight spots (most probable).
yes!

dude, i have an 03 naked with almost the same amount of miles as you and last week i was having the exact same problem.  a clunk noise that i narrowed down to being associated with speed of wheel.  it was prominent as i started riding from a stop.  didn't make a noise while revving engine in neutral or while coasting the bike in neutral. 

i cleaned/lubbed the chain (which was way dirty and binding) and it went away. 

it was a really scary noise, a loud clunk.  i was almost afraid to ride it until i could figure out where the noise was coming from.  i think it's time for me to replace my chain. 

·
Registered
485 Posts
Try to take off smoother.
Mine does it as well and if feels as if your on the verge of snapping the chain right off.
It's normal , and shouldn't happen every single time , it also depends on how you made the full stop previously also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts