Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Month or so ago I noticed a light clunking noise when normally acellerating off from 1st and 2nd gear. From slow to normal acelleration it just made a clunking or clicking noise at low RPM. Difficult to tell where it came from.

Chain was somewhat loose so I tightened it. Not sure if this is coincidental but the noise went away.

Then this week the noise returns. Slightly louder and occurs under the same circumstances. It's not pinging/knocking since I know what that sounds like. This time it's also much louder and the clunking speeds up as speeds increase, but still most noticeable while acellerating from a slow 1-2nd gear speed. In fact, the clunking can belightly felt through the pegs. Only happens while acellerating and in gear. If I'm cruising, decelerating or clutch in the noise stops. Revving the motor while stopped doesn't affect the noise either.

The chain isn't loose and I'm stumped. In the meantime I'm going to have to park it and cage it for a while. Original chain/sprockets with near 13K miles. No abnormal wear or binding when the bike is on a rear stand and the rear wheel is spun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jesse H said:
In fact, the clunking can belightly  felt through the pegs.  Only happens while acellerating and in gear.  If I'm cruising, decelerating or clutch in the noise stops.
Just a guess but maybe pull the bearings from rear wheel when you're changing sprockets and check them out. They are under the greatest stress when you're accelerating.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your chain has more then likely had it, I would replace it, but thats just me and I cant visually inspect it from a computer.  If you replace I would just do the chain, unless you see any abnormal wear on the front sprocket I would run it, the rear sprocket lasts longer then the front so its probably good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just had my bike in for routine maintenance at 15K miles.

I also had the same complaint as you.

In fact:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=45987.0

and it's not a problem that is isolated to you.

I just got my bike back yesterday and was going to post up about it so heeeeere is the answer I got from the guys.

In my case, they said that the chain was a bit loose (although I had also tightened it up) and that it would definitely help out. They tightened it up a bit more and the sound did pretty much clear up.

However, they also at first thought that it might be something in the clutch assembly and that I may need a new one. Apparently, a V-Strom had the exact same low rpm and 1st to 2nd upshift knock/ clunk/ clicking sound.

The third thing they mentioned is that it might be in the gearing. They never really explained it and I was picking up the bike at the end of the day so I wasn't able to speak to the guy working on the bike, but they said that at some point I'll have to take it in for a replacement (for what? the guy I spoke to didn't seem to know).

Next question, is it bad for the bike AT ALL? The guys at the shop said that it will in no way damage the bike and that it is only an annoying problem.

So that's what's up.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am having this exact same symptom. In first gear when I launch from standing still and the bike is under power, only then, I will hear a loud CLUNK. It happens just once and then everything seems normal. If i slow down and stop then repeat I will again get a loud clunk. The bike does not seem to stutter or jerk, just make a noise. I feel that my chain and sprocket should be replaced as its 14k on the stockers, but not sure if its them or something else. I will be replacing the sprockets and chain in a month or so i'll report back if the sound stops. Also, i'm pretty sure my chain is somewhat loose but i havent measured it yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
every time my chain gets loose, I get a clunking, grinding type sound, tighten the chain and it goes right away. I have had to tighten the chain 2 times in 3,000 miles though and I think that is too many times, chain should not get loose that quick I think. Lube chain every 600 miles and tighten it to about 1 inch of play most of the way around a wheel revolution and see if the sound goes away.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
I would think that at over 10,000 miles on a set of sprockets and chain, its time for replacement. Also, double check that counter-shaft sprocket to make certain its not loosened up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just noticed this same noise last night on my 99sv650s and it freaked me out. I'm about 130km from home and my local garage and was worried about making it back. Same situation where it ONLY happens from take off, and everything runs fine while riding. I'll be taking my bike in to get it looked at tomorrow hopefully. Has anyone had any luck in fixing it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts