Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried to replace one of those clutch lock out swicthes? Just took the bike out of storage and it would not start no power to the starter, solid battery power. Bump started worked fine but could not start using the starter button. Pulled the leads this morning, sprayed some wd 40 on the leads and pushed them on. Waited a few minutes and she fired up no problem. Do I need to replace both the starter and clutch safety switch., Suggestions, comments etc

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Just bridge it out... No loss at all, its sole purpose (unless you're a total tool) is to break and strand you in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is there a how to on this site? I'd like to know how - I've had the same issue......

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
All you do is bypass the switch. Some people have used a bent paper clip shoved in the plug. I actually deleted the whole plug, and soldered the wires together, hiding the connection in the switch housing on the left. There's really nothing to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The easy way is to just use a small wire to bridge the connector. Wrap it in a little tape, and totally reversible. If you don't mind chopping out the connector, it would look super clean to delete it altogether, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oh, and remove the switch from the clutch mech afterwards, no sense to leave it there and I swear I can feel the difference, even though rationally I have to admit I probably can't ;D

Cut and solder is the only way to go IMO, why replace a fail point with another one? Things stuck in plugs to bridge them out have a habit of falling out. Usually when it's raining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts