Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading home from work approaching the intersection of Hwy 6N and I-10 in Houston. Traffic was heavy due to the upcoming holiday. I'm in the second lane from the left and not trying to change lanes. Traffic speed is slow b/c of the light and high traffic flow.

This black truck is kind enough to cut me off and get in my lane. Okay, no big deal. Then this older lady in a Lincoln Town Car starts encroaching on my lane. I'm about even with her door when she starts doing this. I immediately get on the horn. No effect. I press and hold the horn as I maneuver my bike to the edge of the lane. No effect. I get over as far as I can in my lane with the lady's rear quarter panel even with me. She is stopped b/c of traffic.

WTF? I think.

I move my bike so it is even with her window and I'm surprised when she rolls the window down. She starts apologizing immediately and tells me she thought I was switching lanes. "No ma'm, my blinker wasn't on....Please be more careful." I can tell she is one of the many older drivers who has limited capabilities. Yelling won't do anything so I went the polite approach. I thought about moving my bike forward to cut her off but decided it was better to have her were I could see her.

The light changes, I take a left under Hwy 6 and get on the access ramp.
As luck would have it I'm stuck in a large platoon of cars. No one wants to let me in, but I squeeze in using the typical Houston manuever. Now I have a big ass truck on my ass who doesn't want to give me space.

Having enough I moved over three lanes into the HOV lane and grab a handful of throttle. After blasting away at 95 mph for 45 seconds or so I'm b/t platoons of cars and slow down to a cop friendly speed and go home.

Moral of the story....Some days you just don't want to be on the bike and some people are just as stupid as they look.

Thanks for reading the rant.

·
Registered
476 Posts
last year someone posted pics of the trumpet air horns they mounted on their sv. i may consider doing something like this.

glad you are ok.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
for a reference, I had a hella dual-tone airhorn in my last vw, and it sounded like a ferrari and was as loud as a 18wheeler. lookin to go loud, and sound italian? i highly suggest it.

I also had a 7 tone airhorn that played "La Cucaracha" in another vw GTI (yellow) that I had and it was loud as sin, but got laughs EVERY time i played it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
For those of you desiring a louder horn, might I suggest the Fiamm Freeway Blaster: $15, not including shipping, bolt on replacement for the stocker (may vary depending on bodywork), and fooking loud.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=17137&cat=0&page=1

Without sounding like an ass, if you are constantly encroached upon by cagers from the sides, you may want to re-evaluate your visibility and lane position, or "gap riding." If you never hang in a cage's blind spots by selecting proper lane position and speed modulation, the odds of the cage merging into you are greatly reduced. A louder horn is a poor and usually ineffective substitute for traffic roadcraft. Even though I use my horn so infrequently that I startle myself, it's nice to have a horn that gets attention.

HTH

[edit: fixed link]

·
Registered
110 Posts
dackler said:
I also had a 7 tone airhorn that played "La Cucaracha" in another vw GTI (yellow) that I had and it was loud as sin, but got laughs EVERY time i played it.
How big was it? That'd be pretty fn funny on an SV

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Without sounding like an ass, if you are constantly encroached upon by cagers from the sides, you may want to re-evaluate your visibility and lane position, or "gap riding." If you never hang in a cage's blind spots by selecting proper lane position and speed modulation, the odds of the cage merging into you are greatly reduced. A louder horn is a poor and usually ineffective substitute for traffic roadcraft. Even though I use my horn so infrequently that I startle myself, it's nice to have a horn that gets attention.

HTH
[edit: fixed link]
I assume you write that in reference to my comment.
I make it a point not to stay in anyone's blind spot.
It always happens when Im passing on the left (usually 10+ mph more than them) and they just dont bother checking their mirrors.

B

·
0 Posts
Hey! Cool! I just ordered a pair of those Fiamm horns, one in low tone and one in high.

Little old ladies in cars are a hindrance to sanity. I remember years back I had a Suzuki GS850G, and I was leaving the local mall in Denton, TX. I'm in the left lane of the service road and she's in the right. The freeway entrance was two lanes merging into one after making a sharp left turn and crossing an exit that had the right of way. So I'm watching her big-ass tank of a cage and, sure enough, here she comes... right into my lane. I just dropped back and got into the right lane, behind someone else. We make the sharp left turn, cross the street, and there's the merge. The car in front was poky, so I ended up stuck to the right of the blind-as-a-bat-mobile. Watch her, I thought, and sure enough... she came over even though my bike was about even with her front fender. I dropped back quick before she took up the whole lane (No room in front!) and fumed. I know she had to have seen me if she wasn't totally blind. I think it was a combination of deliberate / don't care.

The two most dangerous obstacles on the road are drunks and little old ladies. All else pales by comparison.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bladeforger said:
The two most dangerous obstacles on the road are drunks and little old ladies. All else pales by comparison.
For sure! Come down to where I live (retirement capital of the world)!!! It's impossible to drive here around 3pm as they rush for the early bird specials!

N

·
0 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me thursday. I rode up next to the driver and politely asked if she knew she had almost run me over (I was on my horn the whole time just for the helluvit). She naturally acted as if I had inconvenienced her in some way, but she did offer a grudging "sorry...".

Staying out of blind spots is a great idea, but on gridlocked freeways or in heavy urban traffic it's frequently not possible. The best you can do sometimes is ride paranoid and always have an escape route as gs guy did.

BTW, when someone figures out how to mount two of the Freeway Blasters unobtrusively on a naked, post up. There's only room for one it the stock location, and empty space elsewhere on the SV is at a premium.

:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
DrummerDaveB-- Not trying to single you out, and I do understand that traffic conditions and cagers' habits vary greatly according to location and time of day.

This scenario is posted routinely on other boards as well. My intent is to argue against developing the habit of relying on the horn to get out of similar situations. More for the newer riders and lurkers who frequent the board rather than any individual SVR poster.

Perhaps instead of "Not to sound like an ass...", I should have said "Not to single out any individual poster...". Even with nice wording, the implication is still that I'm having a go at a certain poster (you), which is not my intent.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
DrummerDaveB-- Not trying to single you out, and I do understand that traffic conditions and cagers' habits vary greatly according to location and time of day.

This scenario is posted routinely on other boards as well. My intent is to argue against developing the habit of relying on the horn to get out of similar situations. More for the newer riders and lurkers who frequent the board rather than any individual SVR poster.

Perhaps instead of "Not to sound like an ass...", I should have said "Not to single out any individual poster...". Even with nice wording, the implication is still that I'm having a go at a certain poster (you), which is not my intent.

No offense taken.
Good points though.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
DrummerDaveB-- Cool... 8)

btw, in your case, do you change position within the left lane while passing long lines of slower moving traffic? Slipping in and out of the side view mirror sight lines of the neck turn challenged by weaving slightly within the lane may help them register that a vehicle is overtaking them.

In some places (not sure about KY), a friendly honk to alert other drivers that they are about to be passed is tantamount to slapping them in the face. Same goes for a high-beam flash in some places...

One other thing to keep in mind: In CA, I think 10 mph faster than traffic speed is the limit for "legal" lane splitting. I'm not aware of any research that compares crash stats and splitting speed, but there's probably a good reason for that +10 mph cap...

B

·
0 Posts
JaredMcDonley said:
For sure! Come down to where I live (retirement capital of the world)!!! It's impossible to drive here around 3pm as they rush for the early bird specials!
Oh, yeah, and the servers call their happy hour drinks "Pinellas Park Cocktails" because they order water and add lemon juice and sugar. I've been in restaurants and seen a foursome with well over 300 years among them order 2 entrees and 2 extra plates.

Need to update profile, but I live in the St. Pete area.

N

·
0 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
"...My intent is to argue against developing the habit of relying on the horn to get out of similar situations..."
Dee-finitely. Loud horns are nice to have, but they're no substitute for streetcraft. Even the loudest horns won't penetrate the fog for a lot of drivers.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good replies here.

On the FIAM horn....I don't see how it fits b/t the radiators on the frame on the SVS. The stock horn is shoehorned as is. Any with picts???

I agree with everyone about a horn not being a substitute for proper driving, but sometimes there is not much you can do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, riding in Houston during traffic hrs is a bear. I've been doing it for 2 years and still refuse to do so unless I'm mentally 100% there. Didn't get enough sleep or feeling a little under the weather? I'll cage it.

I make it a point to nearly hug the line so that the I'm seen by the car I'm approaching. This cuts down on being in blind spots and has helped out. When I first started riding I'd ride scared and be on in the line furthest away from the car next to me. Sure there was a buffer of space but most of the time cars couldn't see me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
gsguy said:
Some good replies here.

On the FIAM horn....I don't see how it fits b/t the radiators on the frame on the SVS. The stock horn is shoehorned as is. Any with picts???

I agree with everyone about a horn not being a substitute for proper driving, but sometimes there is not much you can do.

Good point on the fit w/ the SVS. I should clarify that the Fiamm is a drop in replacement for the 1st gen stock SV horn, which fits in front of the radiator.

Are there any brackets or fairing stays which could be used to attach the horn? Or possibly the fairing itself? Just grasping at straws, here...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the only time I ever use my horn is for annnual inpection, it traffic I have a throttle that idles at 102db and easily blatts at 130db when I want it to.

argue all you want that loud pipes don't do crap... my expereince is that it might annoy people, but at least they pay attention,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts