Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking SVRider for some time now in search of a GOOD thread about putting stock clip-ons onto a naked 650, but the results have been unsatisfactory at best. Lots and lots and LOTS of threads about putting handlebars on the sport version, but alas those do me no good. I've tried my damnedest to find the answers to my questions myself and avoid reaching out for help in finding something/someone with knowledge of this endeavor, but here I am. :BangHead:

Does anyone know of any good threads about putting a pair of stock clip-ons onto a naked 2007?

I've figured out basically what needs to happen, but I have questions regarding the modifications that need to be done to the headlight mounting bracket, the correct stock angle of the clip-ons, securing the clip-ons to the forks, etc. Hoping that a good thread (or some patient folks) would be able to answer these.

We are preparing to return home after being here in "lovely" Afghanistan for the past year or so and am eager to jump tackle this project, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I have been lurking SVRider for some time now in search of a GOOD thread about putting stock clip-ons onto a naked 650, but the results have been unsatisfactory at best. Lots and lots and LOTS of threads about putting handlebars on the sport version, but alas those do me no good. I've tried my damnedest to find the answers to my questions myself and avoid reaching out for help in finding something/someone with knowledge of this endeavor, but here I am. :BangHead:

Does anyone know of any good threads about putting a pair of stock clip-ons onto a naked 2007?

I've figured out basically what needs to happen, but I have questions regarding the modifications that need to be done to the headlight mounting bracket, the correct stock angle of the clip-ons, securing the clip-ons to the forks, etc. Hoping that a good thread (or some patient folks) would be able to answer these.

We are preparing to return home after being here in "lovely" Afghanistan for the past year or so and am eager to jump tackle this project, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Perhaps if you spelled out exactly what your questions are.....as in, ask the questions, instead of some vague beating around the bush vague not getting to the point post, then someone could post up the answer to your questions.

-Headlight mounting bracket...I have no idea. Are you using the stock headlight and stock mounting brackets?
-Correct angle of the clipons? I have no idea. Put them where they work for you. You're going to be the one riding the bike.
-Securing the clipons to the forks? Really? How about tighten the bolts?

Where are you going to be when you get back? Perhaps a local yokel could lend a hand?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pretty sure I was straight to the point when I asked,
"Does anyone know of any good threads about putting a pair of stock clip-ons onto a naked 2007?"

- Headlight mounting bracket...yes they and the headlights are all stock. Yes, I should have mentioned that fact.
- Correct STOCK angles of the clip-ons is what I asked about.
- As for securing the clip-ons, yes, tightening bolts to the correct torque (16.5 ft-lbs) is a genius idea, I'm glad you thought of that one for me (sarcasm). Is that all that holds them onto the front forks? (I don't know)

I am from the northern-Ohio area and have not met any other folks who ride 650s yet, which is why I am turning to the SVRider.com community for guidance.

Yes, my questions may seem stupid to someone who knows the answers, but I would rather ask the seemingly obvious instead of damaging my bike or myself because I did something wrong. That's what this forum is for, people sharing a common love of this motorcycle and learning from and teaching others, isn't it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm looking at doing this as well. I know its not specifically what you asked for, but my plan is to go with the woodcraft clipons for two reasons:
-works with stock headlight bracket
-doesn't require disassembly of front end like the stock ones, just bolt them on

I'm not adverse to taking the front end apart, have already done it several times. But if all it takes is a little extra $ to save a lot of time, I'm in. As far as the stock angle goes, I'm not sure. I plan on fitting them up and adjusting to my liking after a few rides.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not a 2007 but I cant imagine it would be all that different. I did stock clipons on my 2000 N. I got a stock S top triple and stock S clipons. was able to use everything else I had. I drilled the top triple and used some carriage bolts for the gauge mount and had to cut the top ring off the headlight mounting bracket to make room for the clipons. Just used a ring clamp to replace the top ring. The stock triple had a notch specifically for the clipons so the angle was set.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't say much for the N model, as I have only owned a first gen for about a week now, but my 2nd gen S has clipons and they have a locator tab on top that sets into the stock S top triple, that would get your angle correct.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Not 100% sure on this, but the naked upper triple's bolt location doesn't allow for stock clipons to be put on there, unless you modify something.

Aftermarket clipons work, but not all brands.

Look into aftermarket handlebars, some designed to be low like clipons.

Bikemaster.com is a good source, bars for less than $30, and it'll be the easiest way to get a more aggressive riding position.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a set of Wood-craft clip ons in a box. Very nice product, and you don't have to remove the forks to install the clamps, however, I know on my 2008 naked I need to mod the headlight bracket for the clip-ons to fit. To mod the headlight bracket you have to take the forks out. So if you don't want to spend the extra money on the wood-crafts, don't, you're gonna have to take your forks out either way. My reason for going with the wood-crafts is so I can easily take them off to go back to my Pro-taper bars when I want to.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Pretty sure I was straight to the point when I asked,
"Does anyone know of any good threads about putting a pair of stock clip-ons onto a naked 2007?"

- Headlight mounting bracket...yes they and the headlights are all stock. Yes, I should have mentioned that fact.
- Correct STOCK angles of the clip-ons is what I asked about.
- As for securing the clip-ons, yes, tightening bolts to the correct torque (16.5 ft-lbs) is a genius idea, I'm glad you thought of that one for me (sarcasm). Is that all that holds them onto the front forks? (I don't know)

I am from the northern-Ohio area and have not met any other folks who ride 650s yet, which is why I am turning to the SVRider.com community for guidance.

Yes, my questions may seem stupid to someone who knows the answers, but I would rather ask the seemingly obvious instead of damaging my bike or myself because I did something wrong. That's what this forum is for, people sharing a common love of this motorcycle and learning from and teaching others, isn't it?
Good luck! ;D

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Not 100% sure on this, but the naked upper triple's bolt location doesn't allow for stock clipons to be put on there, unless you modify something.

Aftermarket clipons work, but not all brands.

Look into aftermarket handlebars, some designed to be low like clipons.

Bikemaster.com is a good source, bars for less than $30, and it'll be the easiest way to get a more aggressive riding position.
The position tabs on the clip ons will have to be removed, or the clip ons will have to be mounted about 1/2" lower.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The position tabs on the clip ons will have to be removed, or the clip ons will have to be mounted about 1/2" lower.
That confirms that.

So that means only the one pinch bolt will be keeping it in place, you can adjust the angle as theres no locator/position tab anymore.

Only thing OP needs to verify is headlight brackets. You also may need to re-route/zip tie some slack from the lines as its almost a 4-4.5" drop in height.

For the same price as stock clipons, I still say buy a set of bars brand new for $30 and see if its for you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did the swap on my 07. There are a few good threads out there; do a search.

Basically you just swap the triples for S model triples. You can actually swap just the top triple though all the SV experts will cry foul. Believe me, it does work although the offset is off a tiny bit. Then you need to replace the brackets that hold the stock headlight brackets to the fork. I used simple pipe clamps, works great. Mounting the gauge is the most difficult part to accomplish. I did a temporary fix with velcro and zip-ties, but ended up leaving it since it worked great. Been that way almost a year; lost of miles and a couple track days without any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for all the input! Sorry its taken so long to reply as I haven't been able to get online here for a few days.

- Good suggestion on the Woodcrafts, I'll be checking them out shortly.
- As for the headlight bracket, I've heard of people doing everything from inverting the brackets to removing them completely (KnifeySpoony)...is it possible to mount the clipon to the fork with the upper part of the bracket sandwiched between it and the top triple or do you run into too many space issues?

- Pothiawala, good call on the lines. I'm guessing/hoping I can just get creative with the tucking and securing of them.

- OneCartel, thanks for the heads up on the tabs, grinding them off should be easy enough. I'm surprised that they designed two totally different kinds of triples for essentially the same bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.