Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to order some clipons ASAP for my 2nd gen naked.

Which manufacturer's product is the easiest install? Are there special aftermarket headlight brackets I can buy to avoid modifying the stock ones?

Also, do you still have bar-ends (bar "balancers") with clipons? (If so, then I need to order another one...)

(If only these people made installation instructions available via PDF on their (non-existant) websites...)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i think you can use any clipon made for a 41mm fork tube, and also i think you only have to modify the headlight braket if it doesnt clear you blinkers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
don't know about the headlight mounting, but i have a set of S clipons and the triple clamps w/ stem that i would be willing to part with. pm me if you're interested. - jeff h

·
Registered
498 Posts
gumpish said:
Looking to order some clipons ASAP for my 2nd gen naked.

Which manufacturer's product is the easiest install? Are there special aftermarket headlight brackets I can buy to avoid modifying the stock ones?

Also, do you still have bar-ends (bar "balancers") with clipons? (If so, then I need to order another one...)

(If only these people made installation instructions available via PDF on their (non-existant) websites...)
The ininail instal of any clip-on will be the same, future adjustments are easist with Woodcrafts. And yes you can buy aftermarket ones but it is about the same cost to cut down the stock bracket. No you don't have to.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
gump-- Affirmative on the bar-end weights with clip ons. Not necessary, but highly recommended: there will be that much more vibration since it feels like you're hardwired directly to the wheel. IIRC, the stock bar ends fit on my Pro-Flo clip on bars, but I ravaged the little rubber expander/nut stopper and bought a set of LP bar-end weights from a local dealer for ~$15.

headlight bracket-- can't help you since I have a 1st gen, which requires cutting/modification of the bracket.

When shopping for clip ons, make note of the drop angle. Mine have a 9-10 degree drop which I find annoying. I would much prefer a 0 to 5 degree drop, but I didn't know any better when I bought 'em.

HTH

·
Registered
744 Posts
The headlight bracket you want is Lockhart Phillips' #400-12244. You should be able to order through any bike shop. It should fit up to a 41mm fork leg.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
97 Posts
sicksv650 said:
by them i mean those headlight brakets
If you look at your stock headlight mounting hardware, you'll see the black steel brackets span the entire upper fork tube between the uppper and lower triple clamps. These brackets need to be modified by cutting and welding or replaced entirely to mount clip-ons. Replacing the brackets makes the conversion a bolt on operation.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hrrrrmmmm... so if you go with these headlight brackets, you have to lose your turn signals? That kinda sucks...

·
Registered
498 Posts
gumpish said:
Hrrrrmmmm... so if you go with these headlight brackets, you have to lose your turn signals? That kinda sucks...
You could always drill your own holes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ronlarimer said:
gumpish said:
You could always drill your own holes.

That's what I did. (Sorry, no digicam = no pics)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Or call Suburban Machinery and order just their turn signal relocators.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the brackets showed up and I took a look at how the stock turn signals attach to the stock brackets and it looks like I'd have to punch out a sort of oval shape instead of just drilling two holes. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

This material is about 3/16" thick. Not sure how I would get this shape out of it.

I think I just might take the suggestion earlier in the thread to order the relocator brackets from SM. (Looks like they only charge $5 for them when sold with the bars.)

By the way, what the hell are the half-dozen rubber pad things they shipped it with for?

·
Registered
744 Posts
You'll waste more than $5 of your time cutting out the oval shapes in the bracket.

The rubber things go between the clamp and the leg. With a GSXR USD fork use one per side to keept the clamp from scratching up the fork leg.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
you can make an oval hole by drilling two holes near each other and filing out the rest.

The SM reloactor brackets sound easiest though. I had them on my 2000 (now stolen) with the T2 bars, they're simple, easy and nice quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts