Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here put on clip-ons in place of the handlebars without changing the upper triple clamp?

I'm not buy the Attack conversion kit (because Attack sucks!) and I also don't want to have to buy all new forks (which seems to be necessary if I buy the gsxr triple clamps).

Ideas?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Yeah, with race clipons (vortex, woodcraft) or stock clipons you should be ok using whatever top triple you have now. Its the clipon/risers (like swatt) that might require a different top triple due to interference with the bolts. And as previously stated, you may need to trim the fork brackets for the headlight to make room between the triples for the clipons.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I just did this on my bike. I use Vortex clip-ons and have a non-stock headlight set up that has eliminated the stock headlight brackets.

I think it would be a PIA if I had to work around the stock headlight brackets.
Not really, you just flip them over and swap them side to side. Need to hammer them out just a bit to clear the clipon bracket. At least with the Woodcrafts it was all pretty simple.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not really, you just flip them over and swap them side to side. Need to hammer them out just a bit to clear the clipon bracket. At least with the Woodcrafts it was all pretty simple.
Glad to hear fitting clip-ons w/ a stock headlight is easier than I thought.

...and anything can be sorted out w/ a little hammer engineering.;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am looking to do this for my SV650N track-only bike that currently has SMII bars. However, I would like to use a steering stabilizer. My GPR V1 stabilizer that I use on my KTM 200 will work according to GPR with the mounting hardware, but it doesn't look like the N triple tree has the mounting points shown in the link below.

Any thoughts?

http://gprstabilizer.com/shopping_sportbikes_suzuki_sv650_03-08

Thanks, Trent

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another issue that I just realized is the differences in the overall shape of the triple trees that would probably make the fitment difficult w/ a N triple (GPR only makes a stabilizer for an S model now).

They did say that if someone around San Diego was willing to bring their SV650N by their shop that they would make one up...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would say just trade the triples, there seem to be a lot more people looking to go from clip ons to handlebars. You could probably to the swap right and maybe make a few bucks. If you don't already own the clip ons just trade someone full out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very cool look...any pics of the full bike? Is there any difference in clip-on height in using them with the N vs the S triple tree? I have the SM I bars and your picture doesn't seem to show any initial rise at the mounting points on the forks.

I'll post up a trade offer for my handlebars and mounts for the clip-ons.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I doubt there is any difference in height that depends on the triple clamp, but I can't say I've compared the two. The Woodcraft clip-ons don't have any rise, and they are pretty low.

This is the only picture I have that shows the height of the bars:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, with race clipons (vortex, woodcraft) or stock clipons you should be ok using whatever top triple you have now. Its the clipon/risers (like swatt) that might require a different top triple due to interference with the bolts. And as previously stated, you may need to trim the fork brackets for the headlight to make room between the triples for the clipons.
Do you know a step by step thread of anyone who did this...

I found a good pair of OEM clip on and would like to find out more about everything I will have to do to make it fit...

Any URL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.