Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running Heli Bars clip-ons on my '05 SVs. I like the height and the fact that they're back about 1" from stock, but I find myself riding with my elbows out and high... Maybe like riding a dirt bike. And so when I relax my arms and let my elbows drop (as I believe they should), my wrist is put into an odd angle that gets a bit painful after a while.

So I'm looking around at clip-ons, and saw a couple that might work (LSL specifically), but I'm not sure about the length of the bar itself -- I'm also running Cycra hand guards, and essentially need 10" of mountable area for the controls and guards.

I saw some Clubman clip-ons, but they only came in up to 38mm clamp size.

ANYWAY... Any one know if there are clip-ons that come that long, with, say, 10 degrees or so of downward angle, and are raised up to the approximate height of the Heli Bars? I used a set-up like this on my commuting bike (bicycle) many years ago, and it was the most comfortable "straight bar" set-up I've ever used.

Also, my mind is running with what might be a hair-brained idea. Is it possible, advisable, or whatever, to take something like drag bars (or even Clubman), cut them in the middle, and use some clamps with no downward angle to secure them to the fork? I would think that some no-rise clamps would work with the Clubmans, or maybe the LSL clamps with drag bars...

I guess the questions that come along with this: are the bars a constant diameter end to end? are they tapered inside (butted) such that they would lack suffucuent strength if I clamped them other than in the middle? are the clamps 7/8" diameter also?

Anyone?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for the bars to be higher, I want essentially the same height (Heli Bars says they're 1.5" higher and 1" back from stock), I just want my hands to be angled down to the outside... No info on the Swatt clips on any kind of downward angle... Now if these have no downward angle, and I can use a drag bar cut in half, that might work (assuming there aren't safety reasons to NOT do this).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
10degrees is a lot of angle, the most i've seen is 7, but that was on race clip-ons with no rise.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm not looking for the bars to be higher, I want essentially the same height (Heli Bars says they're 1.5" higher and 1" back from stock), I just want my hands to be angled down to the outside... No info on the Swatt clips on any kind of downward angle... Now if these have no downward angle, and I can use a drag bar cut in half, that might work (assuming there aren't safety reasons to NOT do this).
Swatt makes various clip ons, from lower than stock SV, to higher.

I have a set of Tommaselli's (Gold Commanders, I think they're called) that are fully adjustable and would likely do what you want. The ones I have are 39mm, but they come in other sizes too. I know that Telefix (Germany) makes similar clip-ons, too.

.. Gregg

·
Registered
680 Posts
Why does it bother you so much that your elbows are out? It seems to me that the cause is the height. The only way to get your elbows farther in (without pain or unnatural positioning) is to have lower clip ons. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I was looking at an Interceptor this weekend and noticed that the clip ons are raised. Wonder if they would fit? I have no idea, but it's a notoriously comfortable bike, after all.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The SWATT 3.5" clipons are approx 1.5" over stock.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "elbows out" are a result of the bars being flat... To maintain a relaxed wrist angle (rotation-wise), my elbows ocme up and out. Imagine a bulldog riding a motorcycle. And because of that, I tend to carry more weight on my hands rigidly. If I drop my elbows down (as I would when riding a road bicycle), my arms relax a lot more. So if I can get more downward angle on the bars, I'll be able to do it with a relaxed wrist angle.

Clubman bars have a lot of downward angle, but also a lot of back-sweep (bad).

I may end up going with the Swatt 3.5" riser clamps and a split drag bar...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts