Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a clicking/tapping noise coming from my engine. I spoke to a motorcycle mechanic and he said its typical for a SV650, which is what I have(2006). Do you guys experience the same thing? or is there something AWRY HMYA!?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cam chain

its normal to hear it(some bikes are louder then others)

but how many miles are on your bike

·
Registered
459 Posts
I heard the same thing on mine... sounded it was the clutch... haven't had it checked yet.. I only hear it at low rpm on mine tho

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear it, too.

I've had my SV for about a year. In the beginning, all I heard was the kick @ss rumble of the V-twin. Then I noticed how lawn-mowery the stock muffler sounds. This brought other noises to my attention. The engine clicking is one of them. For some reason I've had horrible luck (my fault, really) with valves in cars and bikes I've had in the past. I was convinced I did it again. I've been reassured that it is a normal sound and have found it kind of comes and goes. I'm still looking to run into someone that has a well running SV to compare, but for now I'm pretty at ease with the clinking.

I'm curious to hear yours to see if it's the same thing. Can you upload a vid on Youtube? I'll give it a go by the weekend if you can't by then.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is the heart of the bike beating. Just let it be. Or, spray WD-40 everywhere until it goes away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Depending on how many miles are on the bike, your valves might need ajusting. My bike tics and makes all kinda of noises, getting the valves checked in two weeks.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I dont know what is up with these guys, but they are giving your really crappy information. Take that bike back to the dealer and DEMAND they find out what is wrong with your bike.. They are just trying to get you to wait until it eventually blows up so they can rape even more money out of you.

Fu<king assh0les on this forum, I tell you.

;D

·
Registered
161 Posts
whoa whats with the hostility? Don't charge into the dealership demand things, thats gonna get you nowhere. If anything it will **** them off and they will then most likely find a way to rape you. Just listen to the people that are the professionals, MOST know what they are talking about.
As for the click, I've heard a faint click since it was brand new, no worries just make sure to keep your oil clean and full.
Now that I think about it I do have a chatter when in neutral with clutch out. Likely need a clutch adjustment, anyone else hear this noise?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Someone on this board described the engine as sounding like a sewing machine. I'd say that's about right.

The best solution is earplugs... they protect your ears plus you get to hear that nice 650 growl instead of your valvetrain slapping along.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
whoa whats with the hostility? Don't charge into the dealership demand things, thats gonna get you nowhere. If anything it will **** them off and they will then most likely find a way to rape you.
Ever hear of slight of word? He was being a smart ass.

More than likely it's the typical cam chain slap. Normal. Depending on miles, if you haven't ever had the valves adjusted it would be worth having them checked.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I read in a post here, and it was proven with my own bike, after about 1000km I started hearing a louder clicking/rattly noise that was synchronized with my rpm. The noise was more noticeable after letting go of the throttle at around 3000rpm. I read that the cam chain tensioner uses some ratchet like system, so until it reaches the next tooth/notch the slack will build causing the noise, eventually that clicking noise disapeared and it slowly reappeared way later, I cannot remember at which KM on the odo.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ever hear of slight of word? He was being a smart ass.

More than likely it's the typical cam chain slap. Normal. Depending on miles, if you haven't ever had the valves adjusted it would be worth having them checked.
+1 :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^^that's what I keep being told.

Do RPMs help the cam chain tensioner tighten up or is it tightening based on the stretching of the chain through use?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Depending on how many miles are on the bike, your valves might need ajusting. My bike tics and makes all kinda of noises, getting the valves checked in two weeks.

unlikely that its valves, with shim under bucket adjustment, when they go out of adjustment, they tend to tighten up and become quieter

·
Registered
542 Posts
unlikely that its valves, with shim under bucket adjustment, when they go out of adjustment, they tend to tighten up and become quieter
That is completely accurate. And my bike makes some noise which I have also been told is normal. Im now at 27000 and some change and it has made this noise since about 6000 miles. Also not to thread jack but on the valves too tight issue I was told that if I feel no power loss and its not hard to start they are ok. What do you guys think I have the ability to check them myself but why waste my time with no symptoms, noises or power loss.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I was told that if I feel no power loss and its not hard to start they are ok. What do you guys think I have the ability to check them myself but why waste my time with no symptoms, noises or power loss.
that is bad advice

if you wait till there's a power loss, it's too late, once there's a power loss or straing issues, the valves are going to be more than out of adjustment, the seats will be burnt , you will need what is known as a valve job, cut new seats, lap the valves, probably new valves, cause it's likely the stems will be burnt & weakened as well, if you just try adjusting and not doing the valve job, on a few thousand miles, the piston will develop a hunger for the head of that valve, because once the seats are burnt, even in perfect adjustment hot gasses will leak thru when they are not supose too, and further burn the stem, weakening it till it snaps

it doesn't take long to do serious damage once you have a leaky valve seat

SV's are noisey engines theres a lot of moving parts, cam chain slap, injectors clicking, valves recipricating, and not any excess engine wall or crankase mass to absorb sound energy, nekid, not enclosed in plastic , I4s are quieter cause they have smaller parts and are more balanced than twins

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have 31000 Miles on my bike, The valves were checked whenever it recomends by Suzuki by the previous owner. Whens the next time I should be checking the Valves?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts