Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this method of replacing fork seals?It seems less laber intensive.Recommend?or not
. All you'll need is some cheap motor oil, a catch pan, a jack, a piece of wood, and a car or truck. Fully extend the stanchion out of the slider and completely fill the fork with oil. If possible, make sure there is no air in the system. Reinstall the fork cap. You now have a closed system with nowhere for the oil to go. Lay the fork on top of the catch pan with one end against your garage door frame. Now park your car with its front wheel parallel to the door frame. Place a board across the car wheel and wedge your car's jack horizontally between the fork and the board. See Photo 5 to more clearly see what I am referring to. Slowly extend the jack. With nowhere to go, the fork seal will push out. As soon as the seal slides out far enough that you can pry it the rest of the way with a screwdriver, stop compressing the fork, or things could get messy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Okay, now how do you put the new seals in?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
82 Posts
I vote for the traditional method. That just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I usually drive the new seal in with the old one. It's worked fine for me thus far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They sourced the info from RaceTech so it can't be all bad. Can it?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Arvan-- Thanks for the link... 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
:)

07-10-2005 seems to be the cutoff date. Lots of stuff on that date, but nothing before.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The link seems to work fine for me. It says it's from the february 2009 issue, but has the same steps. I've never used that method of replacing fork seals, but if I were to do so I would recommend using ATF instead of motor oil - a fair number of people use it anyway, and itll clean your forks out a bit better.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
:facepalm: Why not just remove the retaining clip and slam the slider gently against the seal? :dontknow:

5 or 6 firm strokes and it is popped out.

Where is all that oil going to go when the seal lets go?
Do you really believe you can contain it?

:dizzy: This guy is creating 6 problems to solve something simple. :dizzy:

EDIT: I see what you miscreants did there ... suckered me right in.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Haha, Currently, you're a big fish, our work is done. ;D
I am wondering if I should abuse my AMP* and ban you for a couple days! :twisted:

*Awesome Mod Powers (tm by Fatass)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts