1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
Two of those little blatters were at Twisted Throttle's recent open house in RI. I like small bikes and singles; some of which i've put on serious miles. The Clevelands' have a lot of appeal for the price. They could be especially good for very twisty roads, commuting and with a good sized back pack going for groceries. For the price and from where they come deterioration could be a major issue

·
Registered
760 Posts
My first bike was a Chinese Suzuki DR-200 clone and I love it. I still have it and bomb around on it in town from time to time. Being Chinese made doesn't necessarily mean that it has poor build quality, but it does mean that parts will be hard or impossible to get.

The Chinese are building bikes at a rate that would astonish even the likes of Toyota. I bought mine for $1200 brand new, granted some assembly was required.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's hot, just not what I would expect from the motor though. I do not dislike small CC bikes, but most cafe/resto projects I am familiar with use the CB750 motor. I would think that the 250 in it will be too weak.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hot, just not what I would expect from the motor though. I do not dislike small CC bikes, but most cafe/resto projects I am familiar with use the CB750 motor. I would think that the 250 in it will be too weak.
117 mph on the hotted up model sounds sv-ish. I'm sure it would simply take a lot longer to get there. ;)

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
When Honda began importing bikes in the 1960s, everyone thought it was quaint and pointless that some "Jap-junk" company would build a motorcycle. When Hyundai began importing cars, everyone thought they'd always be a joke. When Hyosung began importing motorcycles, people thought they'd never sell.
Honda is the premier motorcycle company in the world. Hyundai sells Motor Trend Cars of the Year. Hyosung's aren't such a joke anymore.

Oldthinkers unbellyfeel market reality. Chinese companies have become more adept at identifying and meeting quality standards. The Cleveland CycleWerkes site points out that they've got a joint Chinese and American quality team on their projects. I think it would be a hoot to have one of those little bangers, and I wouldn't be surprised if it outlasted me.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Their design and quality control are directly in the hands of their very American CEO. Cycle World did an extensive article and interview a year or so back. The guy who runs the company wanted to build an inexpensive, beginner-friendly bike that would be an alternative to the average working guy having to take the bus or ride a moped. He tried to get American manufacturers to build components, many of them shied away from any business relationship when they found out he wanted to build motorcycles. He discussed at length in the article the fact that you can get top-quality stuff out of China, so long as you're working with a reputable manufacturer and give them the specifications you want met. They'll gladly produce cheap garbage if that's what you spec out, but they're perfectly capable of precision and quality that are world class if that's what you specify.

·
Registered
731 Posts
He discussed at length in the article the fact that you can get top-quality stuff out of China, so long as you're working with a reputable manufacturer and give them the specifications you want met. They'll gladly produce cheap garbage if that's what you spec out, but they're perfectly capable of precision and quality that are world class if that's what you specify.
True story

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Their design and quality control are directly in the hands of their very American CEO. Cycle World did an extensive article and interview a year or so back. The guy who runs the company wanted to build an inexpensive, beginner-friendly bike that would be an alternative to the average working guy having to take the bus or ride a moped. He tried to get American manufacturers to build components, many of them shied away from any business relationship when they found out he wanted to build motorcycles. He discussed at length in the article the fact that you can get top-quality stuff out of China, so long as you're working with a reputable manufacturer and give them the specifications you want met. They'll gladly produce cheap garbage if that's what you spec out, but they're perfectly capable of precision and quality that are world class if that's what you specify.
Yep, I very much remember this article. The latest one (again in CW, which is also an excellent issue btw) was a strong reminder about this interesting bike.

Also, I very much agree about a 500cc version. That would stay in-line with the idea of it being beginner friendly, probably wouldn't overtax the frame or other components (just a guess here, obviously) and would probably still be very inexpensive.

My guess is that if it makes sense we'll see it eventually.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I wish them luck, hopefully the company will be around for a long time; especially as they start to impliment "newer" technologies into their line without pushing the price into a weird place for what they're trying to do. While I don't particularly like cafe racers, I can't wait to see how well "tha Hooligun" works out with buyers; that seems like it could be fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts