Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some clear turn signal lenses for the factory turn signals.  I've got an '03 SV650.  They sent orange bulbs with them as well and I installed them, but I like the original, clear bulbs that were in the turn signals before.  Not sure if they would be legal.  Anybody know (state is New Jersey)??

Before

After

had to cover the license plate since it was reflecting the flash...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
cant see your pics...can you try to repost?

amber bulbs with clear lenses or clear bulbs with amber lenses are a-ok. clear bulbs with clear lenses are almost certainly not legal, besides probably being very difficult to see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know a site that lets you post pictures for free?  I posted the pictures in my ofoto account and it worked when i previewed but doesn't seem any longer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Go with the amber bulbs - while you make like them, they will not go over so well with the person in the rear. Not sure about your state, but in FL for sure you can not have that.

Looks good though.. really nice look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i ave clear turn signals on my 03. i used the orange bulbs that came with mine. i am sure it would be illegal in all places to have clear bulbs in clear lenses.

remember you still want to be seen !

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the clear lenses sort of matching with the silver paint (at least in the photos). Looks nice! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah you can bet their illegal (clear bulbs in clear lenses) but will you get pulled over...........depends, I have clear in clear on my cars too and haven't gotten pulled over in 5 years but it just depends on how picky your police are, and contrary to many statements posted, a clear emitting light is actually brighter compared to amber, but still harder to see durring day light because it blends durring day time if that makes sense; and at night they could be considered too bright. The problem is peoples minds are "trained" per say too look for amber.(if they're looking at all), my opinion there's is enough natural born idiots and grannys/grampys on the road that shouldn't be do we need to confuse them any further by changing signals to clear lights?

·
Registered
70 Posts
In most states the law goes something like

Clear lights only can only be in the front, red lights can only be in the back.
Amber can go anywhere.

A clear light is meant to denote what direction a vehicle is moving...like your reverse lights on a car are clear.

Many states also say no other colors but red, white, amber and blue can be directly visable anywhere.
Indirect lights are ok, like a neon glow or your plate light.

On a semi-related side note...Minnesota states you can have rear facing blue, only on a motorcycle, and only if it is a brake light. Been thinking about some blue LED or something...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts