Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my write-up on installing a clear clutch cover on my 2008 SV650S. Normally I would have many more details and photos but this project left a bad taste in my mouth when I broke a bolt!
It was all very easy though. Before you start you will need the following:
1. First gen clutch cover under plate (check ebay)
2. New gasket for clutch cover under plate
3. Oil and anti freeze

Number 10 bolts from 1st gen cover. I would also order a few extra #5 bolts just in case.

First, if you have fairings, they have to go.

Second, drain the anti-freeze. You may have to stand the bike up and shake it around a bit to get most of it out.
Now drain the oil. I tried to take the cover off without draining the oil and it didn't work. There was oil all over the place.
Now un-bolt the cover and water pump. The water pump will not come off until you get the whole cover off. Look at the "U" shaped clamp holding the sprocket on.

I used a big flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers to remove the clamp. It took about 10min to get that clamp off.
Also be careful not to damage the two O-rings. These can be re-used. there is also a 1/4" dowel that is easy to loose. The dowel goes into the plastic sprocket.
you can see the dowel sticking out a bit here.

Once that is all done, start to scrape the old gasket off with a razor. Clean everything up really well so the new gasket has a good seal. After it is all clean, it is time to put her all back together with the new Clear Clutch Cover.
Tighten the bolts CAREFULLY! If you don't, this is what happens:

After the bolts are back on, fill her back up with the fluids. Don't forget that little screw on the antifreeze cap! Before you put the fairings back on, start her up and check for leaks. There may be a little oil that drips at first so don't worry. The gaskets will settle in within a ride or two. There also may be a little haze from condensation in the clear window. This should also go away after a few rides or when the weather gets warmer. If it looks like you are making a chocolate milkshake in your clear cover, you have a gasket problem!
That is about it in a nutshell. The whole process should take about an hour. If you break a bolt, it will take about 3 days:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great Job d00d!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW it looks sick made.
I am pretty sure that is a compliment. Thanks!

In all it cost about $350-$400. The bulk of it being the clear cover itself. It is unique enough to justify the cost. Kinda like the chopped can is unique enough to justify the time and effort. I know it is a bunch of coin but I had a good month when I decided to do it.
I am surprised no one noticed the sticker on the front of my bike.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Nice write up. Good to know what I'm in for when I finish making mine. Hopefully the broken bolt was not too big of a deal. Thanks for the reminder/warning.

I have an odd question, but if you can measure the window opening, I'd appreciate it. I'm making my own from an extra cover but the opening seems smaller than I had hoped for. I'm hoping it's not too small. ???

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice write up. Good to know what I'm in for when I finish making mine. Hopefully the broken bolt was not too big of a deal. Thanks for the reminder/warning.

I have an odd question, but if you can measure the window opening, I'd appreciate it. I'm making my own from an extra cover but the opening seems smaller than I had hoped for. I'm hoping it's not too small. ???
The lexan measures about 4 1/4" across and the actual opening measures about 3 7/8". And the broken bolt was a huge deal. I broke an easy out off in it. Had to take it to a pro.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Thanks for the measurement. I'm pretty close with the 2nd gen cover. I could only get 3 1/4" with the 1st gen cover and it looked small to me. Should be OK though. The price was right... ;)

Do you think the bolt issue was the result of application of too much torque, (been there, done that) or maybe a mix up of hardware placement, (different length bolts) or are they made out of the french cheese metal? (I think something in the TPS adjustment thread warns of "cheese" fasteners)

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Heh, I broke the same chromed bolt, only next to the swingarm pivot. Thankfully it came out easy using a left handed drill bit. I broke it using one of those cheap torque wrenches, and tightened it by rule of thumb afterwards. No leaks, thankfully.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts