Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
the service manual says to clean and lubricate your chain every 600 miles. i personally clean it about every 1000 miles or whenever it happens to get dirty (ie- gravel or dirt roads, etc). i lube mine every couple hundred miles or whenever i wash it.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Clean and lube every 400-600 miles or after I ride in the rain. If you want your chain to last do it this often and check your tension with every cleaning.

:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Holy crap, I guess I'm falling behind. It's a new bike and I'm at about 4500 miles, I just cleaned / lubed it for the second time last weekend. :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
anyone use WD40? ive heard around that you dont need to use heavier material to lube the chain since it has enough in the chain itself!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sh*t.. here we go again..

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There are dozens and dozens of posts. The easiest way is with about 1/8 cup of deodorized kerosene (AKA lamp oil), a toothbrush, and a rag to wipe down afterwards, followed by some chain wax.

I don't follow the schedule. Many of my rides are longer than 600 miles. It's more important to keep the tension proper and the chain clean, regardless of schedule.

·
Registered
467 Posts
v-tec maz, im not sure if you were serious or not, but please note that wd-40 is a penetrant and not a lube. i too have read that the o-ring chain needs practically no lubing for itself, but the sprocket makes contact with the chain too and i believe that is the purpose of the lube. i will definitely say that wd-40 is great for cleaning the chain and especially the wheel if the lube flings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How safe if the kerosene for the environment? When you clean your chain do you do it in the driive way or what? Would there be a problem with it getting in the grass?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So you can use WD-40 to clean the chain... but just wipe it off after and lube it with chain wax or something?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Holy crap, I guess I'm falling behind. It's a new bike and I'm at about 4500 miles, I just cleaned / lubed it for the second time last weekend. :p
:lmao: i have over 14k miles and hadn't really cleaned it more than maybe once or twice, and for some strange reason it started making weird noises...before everyone freaks out i have a 520 conversion kit(chain and new sprockets) in the mail on its way

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
So you can use WD-40 to clean the chain... but just wipe it off after and lube it with chain wax or something?
i wouldn't use wd40 at all

the residue it leaves behind collects dirt and debris and it will probably prevent lube or wax from adhering well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can ask 100 people the same question about WD-40 and get 100 different answers.

I prefer Kerosene to clean and a good chain wax for lube. There are thousands of articles just google how to clean a motorcycle chain.

I'd stay away from WD-40 but I am NOT a scientist and that is only my personal opinion.

And as far as disposal goes...

If you've got an Autozone or similar store where they accept oil just pour it in some old oil and go dump it there. That's what I do with all my fluids. They go into an old gas can and when it gets full I head up to Advanced Auto and dump it all in there big container in the back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts