Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You mean, other than using a gas treatment?

·
Registered
835 Posts
tranny fluid. Actually I think it's just a tale.

You just trying to remove built up carbon from the faces I take it?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
tranny fluid. Actually I think it's just a tale.

You just trying to remove built up carbon from the faces I take it?
No, its real...its an old hot rodder's trick. Don't know if I would do it in a modern motorcycle though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Find a shop that sales BG-44k add some to your gas tank. Just remember one can is for 20gallons. So add the proper amount to your bike. Another thing that would clean carbon from valve is to run water in small amounts in the intake while the engine is running. Or if you can get your hands on X66-p from a GM dealer thats the best stuff ever. But they dont sell it much anymore. But on the safe side if you never done the water thing or the X66-p just find the GB and add the right amount.
Tranny fluid works great on a diesel engine as its high in detergent and would clean the injectors. But today you can add a can of BG-44k and it would do a better job. At work we used to buy cases of it and would use it on every car that failed smog test besided the other repairs that were done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Higher octane fuel won't help, and mix the tranny fluid with water before spraying it in there. (I know it seperates, just shake it real good)

Oh, and it needs to be running while you do that. Hope you don't mind smoke.

And really, if you think your valves are so dirty it causing a problem the simple answer to your question is no. There isn't anything you can do that will clean them good enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Find a shop that sales BG-44k add some to your gas tank. Just remember one can is for 20gallons. So add the proper amount to your bike. Another thing that would clean carbon from valve is to run water in small amounts in the intake while the engine is running. Or if you can get your hands on X66-p from a GM dealer thats the best stuff ever. But they dont sell it much anymore. But on the safe side if you never done the water thing or the X66-p just find the GB and add the right amount.
Tranny fluid works great on a diesel engine as its high in detergent and would clean the injectors. But today you can add a can of BG-44k and it would do a better job. At work we used to buy cases of it and would use it on every car that failed smog test besided the other repairs that were done.
BG 44K is good ****, no doubt about that.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Most higher octanes claim to have more detergents. But since our bikes don't need higher octane, I usually add a lttle fuel system cleaner like Chevron or Shell to regular gas, once or twice a year. Don't know if they really do anything or not, but they claim to clean intake valves, fuel injectors, & carburetors. I just use about 1/4 of a container & pour the rest in my car.
I'd love to hear from some people who really know, if fuel system cleaners really clean valves.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The only SAFE cleaner you can use off the shelf is Techron. If you do use it once in a while then you are fine. They do work but they are more of a mild cleaner. If you think the carbon deposits are the problems and nothing else works. I guess you did check everything else already. Then run some water but watch out so you dont hydrolock the engine. That would remove the carbon. But it wont clean the intake side or the top of the valves. For that get your hands on X66-p, go to GM dealer and ask for it. Here in CA you cant buy it no more. Before they stoped selling it i ordered about 40 cases. Or run the water then add the BG 44k and ride the bike. After you ran the tank to almost empty run a little more water. That would take care of 99% of the carbon. If the bike still not running right then the original problem wasnt the carbon build up in the first place. Oh i forgot you want to change the oil after you are done with carbon cleaning. Then add 44k once every about 5,000-10,000 miles. Remember dont add too much. you can also use Techron but dont use it too much as well. Stay away from all other cleaners. If you read the back you would find they use amonia or alcohol but they would use a fancy name for that to confuse you. They would clean better no Q about that. They would also eat your seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'd love to hear from some people who really know, if fuel system cleaners really clean valves.
And I'd love to hear what benefits are provided if any significant valve cleaning occurs.

I've been making a living turning wrenches since the early 80's, and I'm skeptical to say the least. Back when I started at my first shop job, I was the cleaning parts/gasket scraping guy.

During the 70's and 80's, GM in particular had issues with valve stem seals. Parts stores even sold "smoke stopper kits" for small blocks that shored up the o-ring style stem seals by adding a rubber umbrella to keep oil from going down worn valve guides with rock-hard stem seals.

Whenever we tore an engine down for repair, there was an accumulation of gunk on the valves that makes the stuff you see in the commercials for cleaners today laughable. I spent hours wire brushing carbon from the top and bottom sides of valve heads. 1/4" thick stuff on the stem side of the valve heads wasn't uncommon. The engines didn't run a bit different with clean or dirty valves. Of course if you had that much buildup flow could suffer at high rpm, (and I mean suffer as in looking at some data from a flow bench), but in normal use you'd never know the difference. Guaranteed.

I see the commercials too.....that Shell one with the nitrogen-enriched gasoline is on several times a day, and the side-by-side "visual comaprison" of the valves looks convincing, but put both of those valves in an engine and show me the difference then.

There are some combustion chamber/upper engine cleaners that can help with issues like pinging if there's excessive carbon buildup, but cleaning valves? Nope.

What will "cleaning valves" do anyway? I'm not talking about gunk on stems that can cause sticking, or the occasional bit of carbon stuck between the face and seat causing a loss of compression. I'm talking about the "this valve is shiny and pretty versus this valve that's not" nonsense that's in the commercials.....

;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.