Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06sv and for the new season, i want to make her pretty, like when i bought her. can anyone give some cleaning tips and suggest some good products for cleaning and polishing? thanx

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
I use some Honda Engine Degreaser for the motor bits brakes and wheels, then give it a normal bath with some automotive soap. (Nothing fancy, whatever is cheap really) And then finish up with some Honda Polish for the plastics.

Just be sure you don't force water into anywhere it shouldn't go.

Oh, and don't use Armorall or anything like that on the seat or tires.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Lol, yeah, you'll slide right off the seat.

And if you get it on the tread on the tires, you'll go Boom. It's slippery stuff and it soaks in.

G

·
Just use a little Zip Wax in a bucket of hot water with a wash mit. Rinse, and blow dry with an air compressor.

Although it may make the tires look nice, Armor All will cause the rubber compound of the tires to degrade quicker than normal, causing them lose their performance properties.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
1) Spring bike down
2) Simple Green the engine, wheels, frame, etc
3) Spray off Simple Green
4) Wash all surfaces with an automotive wash soap (dish soap will strip all the existing wax off)
5) Thoroughly dry
6) Clay bar
7) Apply on coat of carnuba wax
8) Remove carnuba, apply one coat of synthetic wax (Meguiars NXT, preferably)
9) Remove synthetic wax, enjoy clean/shiny bike.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Simple green is a cleaning god send.
Ive seen friends bikes go from black to silver (the original frame/rim color) with that stuff when they tried scrubbing and everything and barely made a dent w/o it.

Its now a staple in my cleaning bucket.

·
Registered
723 Posts
if you don't have a hose(silly apt!), can having a clean "shop rag" and a water bucket be substituted for sparying clean?

I usually wipe the bike down, but I'd really like to get some claybar and wax and see if I can make it shine again.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya i found out that shining the tires is a no no when i first washed the bike. those yellow lines can be rather slippery. :) i have heard of the clay bars, but what do they do? may be a stupid question, but i honestly dont know:(

·
Registered
748 Posts
if you don't have a hose(silly apt!), can having a clean "shop rag" and a water bucket be substituted for sparying clean?

I usually wipe the bike down, but I'd really like to get some claybar and wax and see if I can make it shine again.
What I did when living in an apt was go to Lowes/homedepot/etc and get a 2 gallon sprayer like this

Fill it with warm water and use it to spray down/rinse your bike when cleaning. I usually had to only fill it up a couple of times for a thorough wash. Another nice thing is that it doesn't have a lot of pressure behind it so you can spray it without worrying much about it getting into the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a "touch up" spray as well - another godsend!!! - but when its nice out I prefer to wash her :)
I was paranoid about washing at first till I saw a few forums and learned that generally u wont damage anything if u just do a spray down and dont use too much pressue & use common sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ya i found out that shining the tires is a no no when i first washed the bike. those yellow lines can be rather slippery. :) i have heard of the clay bars, but what do they do? may be a stupid question, but i honestly dont know:(
Clay bar is just what it is.. a clay bar. It removes contaminants from your paint. I use soapy water to run my bar over. And if you purchase a bar, cut it in half and store the other half. If you ever drop the first one, you have another piece. Never use a clay bar that has fell to the ground. After you do that your paint should be smoother than it was before.

On the hard plastic portions like the mirrors and around the speedo area. I use Mothers Back to Black.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Clay bar is just what it is.. a clay bar. It removes contaminants from your paint. I use soapy water to run my bar over. And if you purchase a bar, cut it in half and store the other half. If you ever drop the first one, you have another piece. Never use a clay bar that has fell to the ground. After you do that your paint should be smoother than it was before.

On the hard plastic portions like the mirrors and around the speedo area. I use Mothers Back to Black.
just to add on how clay bar works -- since clay is really dense, it's really smooth. The friction is essentially eliminated when you add fluid (soapy water) between the clay and the paint. It glides smoothly over the surface and it's soft enough that dirt/whatever sticks onto the bar. It's safe to use as long you don't use it after it drops on the floor like Staggie said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts