Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
subscribing for the answer, just bought a used white textile jacket off ebay and want to know the best way to clean it as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Take out all the armor and wash in gentle cycle/hand cycle in the washing machine. then hang to dry in the sun if possible, if not just hang up do not put in the dryer.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
It may depend upon the manufacturer. When I owned a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket, the instructions were not to soak or wash in a machine, just sponge with cleaner and wipe. Other brands may be different. My friend owned the same JR jacket, washed it in the machine with no ill affects. Nikwax makes a cleaner for synthetic gear for use in a machine.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As already mentioned, read the instructions for the specific article. But for most of my textile gear, it involves removing the armor, zipping up the zippers, and washing in cold water with mild detergent in the gentle cycle. Remove and hang dry.

For the occasional quick clean, especially after a bug, tar, oil, etc. filled ride through my local canyon roads, it use Armorall cleaning wipes.

I can't tell you how much I love this stuff. It's gentle on all surfaces, including delicate car fabric like headliners, but removes dried bugs and tree sap like nothing! I use one wipey to clean all the bugs and gunk from my 100 mile canyon rides, there is still enough moisture on the wipe to clean the helmet as well.

Buy this stuff ....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Like previous posts check to see if you can machine wash first. I've used Zout and a soft bristled brush to clean a white Joe Rocket jacket I have and have never seen it cause any issues with the jacket

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aside from specific instructions that you should look for on the jacket itself, my (unfortunate) experience tells not to soak an item if it contains fabric of contrasting colours. An all white or all black jacket may be fine to soak, but if it has both colours the black may bleed onto the white and it's an absolute pain to try to get it out.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My method is just to ride in the rain, but that may not be ideal...
+1, go find some rain. Cleans up the gear pretty quick.

I only clean the leather jacket, and thats just getting the bugs off, other than that, alot of my gear hasn't been washed in 4 years.

I do wash my helmet liners, other than that, find some rain.

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a white textile Joe Rocket, it's got blue arms and patches on it. The white has dirt on it. I see the reference to armor all stuff, but would that really clean it? I keep thinking that wetting it with soapy pads will smear the dirt around. I could see using those to wipe like the inside of a leather jacket (smooth lining type stuff) but staining or smearing the dirt on thick textiles jackets. Sorry I'f I'm a new to this but wanted to ask and see what might be the best option for dirt on thicker white textiles

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had a white scorpion mesh jacket before that i just threw in the wash with color safe detergent. Dont use to much of course. On the one spot on the arm where it was really dirty i used the shout spray spot remover and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Some of my textile jackets say don't machine wash or soak and the rest say go ahead. My Wife uses the Steam cycle and it seems to work fine. I pretreat bug splats first to help get the stains out.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have a white textile Joe Rocket, it's got blue arms and patches on it. The white has dirt on it. I see the reference to armor all stuff, but would that really clean it? I keep thinking that wetting it with soapy pads will smear the dirt around. I could see using those to wipe like the inside of a leather jacket (smooth lining type stuff) but staining or smearing the dirt on thick textiles jackets. Sorry I'f I'm a new to this but wanted to ask and see what might be the best option for dirt on thicker white textiles
I have a white leather jacket I use with my Buell, and the Armoral cleaner does wonders for it. It will clean the dirt off, and leave an amazing white finish, without harming the leather. It's not soapy, just a gentle yet effective clear liquid.

After the cleaning, use a leather armoral wipe to condition and give the leather UV protection.

Trust me, it will be the best $10 you spend ($5 for the Armoral cleaner / $5 for the leather wipeys).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mild soap and a soft bristle brush works wonders; but I would suggest you do whatever the manufacture says to do on the tags, especially when it comes to using a washer or how to dry it off.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There should be a tag inside the gear that says how it should be washed/cleaned/taken care of. Just like all clothes. :sbmfacepalm:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thank you all for the posts , I only asked how to clean it cause its a white alpine stars jacket, (also the first motorcycle jacket i bought) and i liked to keep it clean and pristine. I will check the manufacturer's directions.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
As already mentioned, read the instructions for the specific article. But for most of my textile gear, it involves removing the armor, zipping up the zippers, and washing in cold water with mild detergent in the gentle cycle. Remove and hang dry.

For the occasional quick clean, especially after a bug, tar, oil, etc. filled ride through my local canyon roads, it use Armorall cleaning wipes.

I can't tell you how much I love this stuff. It's gentle on all surfaces, including delicate car fabric like headliners, but removes dried bugs and tree sap like nothing! I use one wipey to clean all the bugs and gunk from my 100 mile canyon rides, there is still enough moisture on the wipe to clean the helmet as well.

Buy this stuff ....
How do you get dead bugs and tree sap on your headliner? :icon_biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts