Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2000 gen 1 has a rusty tank. I'm going to clean it with a vinegar soak (I also have a gallon of evapo-rust I'm considering).

I've removed all gas, should I take off the vacuum petcock before de-rusting or OK to leave it on?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've just been doing this for a pal(At least a compressed air and fuel flush) and you should take the Petcock off. In his case I fitted a new one as the old one's filter had decayed so much it fell off when moved and I didn't trust state of the Vacuum Membranes. I also fitted an inline fuel filter under the tank.

I didn't want to damage or remove the low fuel warning device hence I just used compressed air and a fuel slosh.

HTH :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Any sense of whether the low fuel warning device will get damaged by vinegar or evaporust?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks! Any sense of whether the low fuel warning device will get damaged by vinegar or evaporust?
I can't answer that and hence my post. It would be safer to take the unit out but as the tanks are old I didn't want t disturb it. I'm afraid it's,"Dealer's Choice" :/

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cleaned an SV tank with several gallons of white vinegar and replaced the vacuum petcock. I didn't pay attention to the low fuel warning sensor and I believe I killed it. It used to work. I don't remember if it worked right before the wash. But it doesn't work now. So I would remove it prior to cleaning if I do it again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My fuel level sensor needed replacing after an oxalic acid bath. Maybe aluminum foil or gasket material under the petcock would seal it without ruining the diaphragm.

Also consider coating it, I cleaned my tank 2-3 times with vinegar before giving up and using one of the epoxy types.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end I removed the petcock and the fuel sensor, both of which were very easy to remove. I also made a great stopper using the petcock screws through a piece of metal and a piece of bicycle innertube underneath - worked like a charm

·
Registered
854 Posts
In the end I removed the petcock and the fuel sensor, both of which were very easy to remove. I also made a great stopper using the petcock screws through a piece of metal and a piece of bicycle innertube underneath - worked like a charm
Great. I would still fit an-inline filter just to be safe and they are easier to keep an eye on and replace. I got 5 for 5 beer tokens off FleaBay + some 10/11mm diameter pipe clips. Only trouble I had was the New Petcock fuel spigot was wider than the original so I heated up the pipe-end with a Hairdryer to make it pliable enough to get on and then clip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts