Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 850 miles on the bike I finally cleaned the chain with keresene and sprayed some lube on it. First time I've bothered to clean a chain before spraying lube.

On my old bike I just sprayed the chain down every 600 miles. My theory was that the dirt on the chain would become "lubricating particles" after being hosed down with some chain lube.

How important is it clean the chain before lubing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
gsguy said:
My theory was that the dirt on the chain would become "lubricating particles" after being hosed down with some chain lube.
I think you're kidding, right? :wink:
Keeping the chain clean is as/or more important than keeping it lubed.
Dirt mixed with lube makes a nice abrasive compound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
not to highjack a thread but i was thinking of cleaning my chain...but not sure how to do it? any help?? advice? what to use??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're kidding, right?
For the most part, yes. On my previous bike I wasn't real good at cleaning the chain regularly b/c I knew I was going to buy the SV. Couldn't resist the "lubricating particles" bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
Depends how you lube it... A sticky spray or thick wax can retain an awful lot of abrasive bits, but if you use a thin lube you'll avoid most of the "dirt emulsion" problems- a Loobman or Scottoiler means you can get by with cleaning the chain very, very rarely. I cleaned mine for the first time in maybe 2000 miles today, and found it still very clean. i wouldn't even have bothered to day but it's been sat for a while.

Other than that, it does get an occasional blast with the Scottoiler flow set on max- this basically bathes the chain in lube and (the theory goes) takes a lot of the dirt particles with it when it flings off. But don't take any hard left handers if you're doing this :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
is rust on the chain bad??? :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
blacktape said:
not to highjack a thread but i was thinking of cleaning my chain...but not sure how to do it? any help?? advice? what to use??
My method:

Step 1: Spray chain with WD40.
Step 2: Clean with grunge brush
Step 3: Rinse and repeat as necessary
Step 4: Apply lube.

It doesn't take very long and has given me great life out of my chains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
it would help to have a rear stand then wouldnt it!

how do you put the chain lube on? Just spray it on? Whats the best brand to use?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
The 'cheap rear stands' articles in the tips 'n tricks section works pretty well. I used that before I got my Pit Bulls.

For applying lube - as you've realized - it's MUCH easier to do this with the rear wheel rolling free.

When I apply lube, I spray as slowly as possible, right in the channel created by the o-rings. I hold the tube over the channel and rotate the wheel. First on the left side of the bike, spraying the side that contacts the sprockets, then from the rear of the bike do the same to the outer.

I've used Maxima chain wax with good results and now have a can of Bel Ray just to see. Any decent brand from a manufacturer or what not will do fine. The key is to clean and lube regularly.

I've got 18,000 miles on my chain and sprockets and see no reason (or indication) that they're anything but in great condition. I've read about guys going 50,000 miles on a set.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
eeeeek said:
blacktape said:
not to highjack a thread but i was thinking of cleaning my chain...but not sure how to do it? any help?? advice? what to use??
My method:

Step 1: Spray chain with WD40.
Step 2: Clean with grunge brush
Step 3: Rinse and repeat as necessary
Step 4: Apply lube.

It doesn't take very long and has given me great life out of my chains.
i stay away from WD40. i used a chain cleaning spray with a toothbrush and then when it's clean i use maxima chain wax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
Quick, derail this thread before it becomes yet another rendition of the "Does WD40 eat o-ring chains" thread- since it always ends up (on any forum) after about 300 posts with everyone saying "We don't know". :)
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Northwind said:
Quick, derail this thread before it becomes yet another rendition of the "Does WD40 eat o-ring chains" thread- since it always ends up (on any forum) after about 300 posts with everyone saying "We don't know". :)

yeah that is a good point. we have to avoid that at any cost :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
im just wanting to know what and how to do this....thats all...hehe
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
blacktape said:
im just wanting to know what and how to do this....thats all...hehe
1 spray cleaner on the chain, use toothbrush to clean the junk out, repeat if needed. you might not want to reuse toothbrush :wink:
2 go for a quick ride to warm the chain
3 come back and spray the chain down with wax
4 let sit for a few hours
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
One thing to note that you'll want to do, that no one has mentioned, is between cleaning and lubing - you want to warm the chain up if you're using chain wax. It clings MUCH better and that makes things stay cleaner longer.

jdiddy said:
4 let sit for a few hours
WTF?!?!?!?!?!!?? What in God's name for? I warm the chain, lube, wait 10 minutes and boogey. 'S what most instructions on the lube cans say.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top