Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three questions total:

So I was reading some old threads about oil appearing in the pan under the air filter and they said it was normal as long as it wasn't a lot? Haha that doesn't make sense, is this supposed to happen in the first place? Someone said that it happens when you top off too much oil but I definitely measured to midway between the F and L lines about a couple hundred miles ago. Here's a pic:

How do you know when the air filter needs to be replaced? Here's what mine looks like:

Last thing, is this thing called that's connected to the fuel line? It keeps popping off so I want to replace it (haynes nor the manual I have has the name for this thing):

Thanks guys! Love this forum because of all the information that's on it <3

EDIT: AHHH, fixing pics. Imageshack is killing me

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure that's a k&n filter. Don't toss it, clean and reuse it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App
It is a K&n air filter! haha. I cleaned it by blowing compressed air in the opposite direction air would normally flow as said by Haynes. =] How often should I replace it then?

·
Registered
594 Posts
You need to clean it in a shallow pan with soap and water (don't let the water get on the "clean side") and then dry it completely. K&N sells soap, I don't know if it is necessary to use K&N brand or if you can use some other soap. Then you spray it with K&N filter oil, not too little, not too much, and it is ready for reuse. This process can be repeated indefinitely, so you don't ever need to replace the filter, just clean it.

Best thing would be to google K&N filter maintenance.

I used to have a K&N on my car, but got sick of the maintenance and downtime. Now I just stick with OEM paper filters on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can tell an incremental but noticeable difference in throttle response on my cars with k&n filters. If you remove the resonator from the stock airbox and leave the k&n filter there it basically gives you a short-ram intake.

My Integra had WAY better throttle response that way.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Last thing, is this thing called that's connected to the fuel line? It keeps popping off so I want to replace it (haynes nor the manual I have has the name for this thing):

Your fuel line keeps popping off? Looks to me as though it's missing the grey clip that secures the line in place. See below.
(Ignore the hose clamp job. Just pulled a pic off the net of someone who was doing a pressure test)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to clean it in a shallow pan with soap and water (don't let the water get on the "clean side") and then dry it completely. K&N sells soap, I don't know if it is necessary to use K&N brand or if you can use some other soap. Then you spray it with K&N filter oil, not too little, not too much, and it is ready for reuse. This process can be repeated indefinitely, so you don't ever need to replace the filter, just clean it.

Best thing would be to google K&N filter maintenance.

I used to have a K&N on my car, but got sick of the maintenance and downtime. Now I just stick with OEM paper filters on all my vehicles.
Oh, thats good to know that I'll never need to replace it and just need to clean it once in a while =] I'll be googling that right now, thanks!

I can tell an incremental but noticeable difference in throttle response on my cars with k&n filters. If you remove the resonator from the stock airbox and leave the k&n filter there it basically gives you a short-ram intake.

Is that the spongy thing on the bottom left side of the airbox? This sponge was like a third wet from the oil that was in the airbox. And removing it improves throttle response? How's the noise without it? Louder?

Your fuel line keeps popping off? Looks to me as though it's missing the grey clip that secures the line in place. See below.
(Ignore the hose clamp job. Just pulled a pic off the net of someone who was doing a pressure test)

Ugh, looks like time for me to hit the salvage yard haha. The grey clip is the one with the screw in it right? With all the slots?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No, that's the hose clamp that I said to ignore. I'm talking about the grey circular plastic clip that's just to the left of it that's on the fuel line fitting. The fuel hose clips onto that. Once clipped you won't even be able to pull the hose off unless you depress the tabs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what my connector looks like, without the green part. I wonder what size the Suzuki models come with, or if they are the same as the car ones.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The oil in the airbox is from the crankcase breather hoses. It's normal and the airbox is designed to catch it, then let it drip back into the crankcase when you aren't riding.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The sponge in the airbox goes over the breather port and keeps oil from the crank case
from coughing strait up into the filter element and getting oil all over it.
Wash it out and put it back in.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
That amount of oil in the airbox is normal. Just clean it out when you clean your air filter. Yes, overfilling the oil will make it worse, but even with the oil at the proper level, the crankcase breather will occasionally vent a small amount of oil to the airbox.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot guys =] Now I know a little more about my bike haha. A little information in the right direction + google goes a long way!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It is a K&n air filter! haha. I cleaned it by blowing compressed air in the opposite direction air would normally flow as said by Haynes. =] How often should I replace it then?
Mmm... you may wanna inspect your air filter.. using compressed air most often times ruins the fine lattice of the cotton fibers that comprise the K&N's element by blasting open the pours or just blowing holes through the element entirely.

Its a mistake I've made... its worth double checking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mmm... you may wanna inspect your air filter.. using compressed air most often times ruins the fine lattice of the cotton fibers that comprise the K&N's element by blasting open the pours or just blowing holes through the element entirely.

Its a mistake I've made... its worth double checking.
I noticed that too. I believe the k&n literature specifically states NOT to use compressed air.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts

where is the resonator in the stock airbox?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts