Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It comes the time in every lads life that he must sell/trade his first bike and move onto something else. My first bike the bold and daring Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom. Yes, yes i know.;) It's not a sport bike or anything close but it let me get the hang of two wheels before I upgraded a year later to a 2007 SV.

Now to get down to business I was trying to sell my V-Star all week to get some extra money to buy a beater truck I can use when I don't feel like riding.My grandfathers pastors' son goes on rides with the church every month and they usually turn out to be 1-3 hour charity rides and he doesn't like riding his ninja 650r that far and offered to trade me straight up for the cruiser. ;D

He told me from the start that the bike had been wrecked and I haven't seen the title yet but from my inspection other than a dented fuel tank, scratched crank case cover and tail plastics everything looks fine.

Took it for a spin probably ~10 miles and everything felt solid, compression from using front brakes felt normal and it was quick to boot

Other than still having 2 motorcycles and no truck. I was wondering if you guys know of any other things I might check before I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you think you could sell the ninja for more than you could sell the V-star, do it.

What year ninja, v-star, condition of each?

But having an SV and ninja both in the 650 flavor seems a bit redundant to me.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you think you could sell the ninja for more than you could sell the V-star, do it.

This. The bikes are too similar to each other. I would just sell the V-star and get something completely different.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Just a quick thought... There's no such thing as 'get one and sell it quick'. Remember that if you trade in order to sell the ninja, you'll have to title it in your name. At the very least, you'll want a detailed bill of sale proving that you own the bike. I recently went through something similar, trading in a bike in my dad's name for a new bike for me. My new bike is now registered to my dad until the title transfer is finished and he can sign it over to me.

Long story short, if you think the ninja will be easier to sell, or will net you more money, consider that the state will get involved everywhere they can. Be sure to have your paperwork in order before you do anything final in order to cover your back.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my autocorrecter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

2000 v-star 40k miles dented fuel tank for 2008 ninja dented gas tank visual and other misc. visual dammage. The ninja would be a small project but overall I think I would be able to get around atleast 3500 vs 2500 for the v-star.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't know exactly what chicken strips were until this bike.. taking the front fender off now as well as ordering a new back tire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never repaired a tank, I'll probably just be on the lookout for a replacement and sell this one. I took my SV tank to a few body shops and the estimates I got were anywhere from 200-400 so If I can find a red or black tank between those 2 figures I think I'll just replace it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
turn that thing into a adventure bike and keep the sv as your baby

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts
Someday I'll tell you the story of some guy who traded his Harley for another Harley thinking he could sell it quick...

:roflmao:

·
Registered
160 Posts
get to work mike

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Someday I'll tell you the story of some guy who traded his Harley for another Harley thinking he could sell it quick...

:roflmao:
Ask me how I know about titling something before reselling...

:sbmfacepalm:

Sent from my autocorrecter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts