Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lest we forget, the purpose of suspensions is not to provide a smooth ride to your tush, but to keep the tires in contact with the road.
Agreed, but the unintentional consequence of my tush feeling better is appreciated :)

A bike like that is intended to make you feel good on the inside, not the outside :) (Same reason many ride a Ducati...)
I'd love to hear more about your build 67...
Knifey, any updates??
Toran

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Yes the bike is a rigid and yes it rides rough but it's not built for comfort. It's a blast to rip around on. I didn't mean to get the thread off topic sorry to the O.P. I'll make a thread for the bike today.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the input guys. Yes the bike is a rigid and yes it rides rough but it's not built for comfort. It's a blast to rip around on. I didn't mean to get the thread off topic sorry to the O.P. I'll make a thread for the bike today.
Geez! thread jacking like that! lol it is allllll good. it is a sweet bike and totally worth posting. i would love to see more! when you do get a thread up please post up the hyperling on here so we can all check it out. sweet work.

and onto a smallish update.

sadly there isnt a whole lot of "progress" right now as i am just stripping everything off and figuring what i have to work with. I got some 1.5" tubing ordered through my friend who has been using it for the roll cage in is opel GT. going to do a vertical stack of two.

The pile of stuff i have pulled off just keeps growing. though it is about as big now as it will ever be. gonna start cleaning parts up and selling them, so if you think of something you want, let me know.

Got the bike down to engine and frame.

i also got the swinger and rear wheel off, but the primary drive is stuck to the wheel, so i need to get that off. i am also contemplating rebuilding the swinger a little beefier with round tube to match the frame.

i like how it looks like this...

all in all i am getting the bike to where i can start the frame building, then i will be upgrading the swingarm. after that i will make the "lower" frame to tie the swinger, engine and main frame together. once that is done i will make the triples, and have a roller to start the subframe and body-work.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
You make it all sound (and look) sooooo simple. I hate you. ;D

ETA: That was at Knifey, not Brad. Not that I don't hate Brad, er, I mean, never mind.

"Well, I'll just whip up a frame, then bang out a swinger, and a lower, then slap the triples on...Bob's yer uncle..."

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You make it all sound (and look) sooooo simple. I hate you. ;D

ETA: That was at Knifey, not Brad. Not that I don't hate Brad, er, I mean, never mind.

"Well, I'll just whip up a frame, then bang out a swinger, and a lower, then slap the triples on...Bob's yer uncle..."
i wish it were that simple. if i had a good welder it would be alot more like that. as it is i am just going to have to take it one step at a time. and that is my PLAN... i am sure that it isnt going to go ANYTHING like that in real life. the benifit is that i have some work coming in that should help pay for parts.

Are those forks on the work bench going on the Virago?
yes. rebuilt 02 GSXR 750 forks. going to be running a 16x3 front wheel and going to mount the GSXR rotors to mate with the calipers.

since i dont have a good picture of the engine and frame, i stole apollyon's gorgious setup and interposed my crappy MS paint over it as an idea of what i am planning on doing. 1.5" dia steel tube welded together with a brace near the neck and the front section will be covered in plate, alot like apollyon's for the front engine mount. again.. this is a crude sketch, there will be a radius at the bend rather that sharp corner.

structurally thinking the two tubes welded together should make the frame more of an I-beam than a tube hopefully.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
i have been doing work!

First off, i am replacing the clunky swingarm support with a stainless trellis that i will tie into the main frame. however, the two upper mounts are offset 11mm center to center, and to add rigidity, i made them connect (it was a PITA to make too)

Made the new pivot tube. Just waiting on new needle bearings to come in the mail. Gonna be making a jig on Monday to locate and hold the new tube in the same location as the stock tube.

I got the new hub and spokes for the front wheel, and laced it up. it is a harley wheel 16x3 dual flange.

Got the forks rebuilt. they are REALLLLLLY nice. gonna wait to dial them in till the bike is assembled.

Got my GSXR calipers so that i can now figure out spacer length and disk offeset before i start on the triples.

Got my new rear wheel off of a 94 Virago 535 that i will be running for now, until i can make a new hub for the back to incorporate the shaft drive, but run a disk brake rather than the antiquated drum.

Also got the new swinger as the old one had to be cut-off due to the stuck pivot bolt. it is just surface rust and will be getting the full treatment. this one will be staying stock so that i can modify the old one. without jeopardizing progress.

I also got a box of springs to play around with from Ben, who helped me rebuild my forks. MAJOR kudos to Ben (BenGone1 from SVRider)

too many pictures... coffee break

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
the biggest progress has happened in the last couple days.

I got my frame plates cut and ground. they are 0.15" precision ground and were cut on the waterjet, using Appolyon's CAD model as a reference. the are designed to be a secondary method of lining up the frame tubes as well.

Here is the preliminary fitting before i got the engine mount bosses done, but with the plate centered and located. (also this was before i ground them)

i LOVE it when a plan comes together.... this made me realllllly happy. 25 degrees of rake.

the bosses, cut to length with the 10mm through hole drilled and reamed to size. the carbon steel rusts fast with just the grease from your hands.

the bosses are 1" in diameter with the holes in the plates at 0.815" to locate them in the center with a 1.5" gap for the main frame tubes. the tolerance on the parts and fitment is plus or minus 0.003" so they fit together tight and the exact same every time.

I never did this kind of work on the CBR. for that i mostly eyeballed the fabrication. it was even, but it wasn't precise. Hopefully making everything more precise from the get-go will help in the long run. I am really excited about this. i have used more CAD, fixtures and precise set-ups in the build so-far than i did in the entire CBR build. i am hoping it will show.

thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
thanks guys! it is fun to see everything getting underway.

On that note..

Update time. I never had more than about an hour at a time in the shop this weekend, however i was able to get a few things done.

First things first, i slapped the frame plates on the bike as soon as i got home... pretty exciting.

Then... i played around with my rebuild forks to check out the offset and caliper clearance as well as the basics of the mounting plate for the rotors. looks like it will work. gonna need a custom axle, but the spacing will be very simple, as will the rotor adapter.

then i made some wheel lugs to center the 32mm axle holes in the forks to the .75" bearings on the wheel. and threw the forks on there, but really didnt do a whole lot more as a i ran out of time.

Then, the next time i went out i got the engine level and flat, and set-up my pivot tube jig. I bolted on the stock lower frame, made sure it was level and then located my fixture using a 24mm slug that fit exactly in the stock bearings before bolting it to the table. here it is located, set, and bolted down.

Then, i took off the stock lower and replaced the bung with a 32mm bung that would fit inside the new pivot tube as i will not press the bearings in until after it is welded.

Now i have the mounting point bungs on and the pivot tube in place. the beauty of this jig is that it locates the tube correctly in all 3 axis to the exact same as stock. easy peasy

With the jig in place, i mocked up the swingarm to make sure that none of the support tubes would interfere with the drive shaft shroud... and i threw the spring on there for fun!

then i had to go do chores and other real life stuff, as well as getting a fun ride with my brother and freind on a local twisty road. SO much fun in the fall.

So later.... i spent a good hour cutting and shaping the support tubes, and i wont bore you with that, but here they are:

I cant weld Stainless, however i cant really move my set-up to the welder's so i tacked everything in place with my mig welder, and did a pretty ugly job of it. I really need a TIG welder.

after the part cooled i used my trusty precision scissors to cut some extremely precise templates for the gussets.

I then took the part off and took it to the wire wheel to get as much of the spatter off as i could. i will get the rest off by hand before getting it welded.

and here it is with the jig out of the way and supporting itself. I will be adding upright supports to this so that it can bolt it to the main frame for added rigidity.

More soon! i got my steering stem bearings in so now i can make the neck, which means when the tubing comes in i can get the frames welded up.
thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
thanks guys! i am glad that you like it.

Okay...
quick update. First on the cost. All told i have spent $825 including the purchase cost of the bike, and so far i have not spent a cent that i didn't earn from a side-job, so a big thank you to all of you who have been supporting this build.

I have bought:
doner bike
pivot bearings
two front wheels
gsxr brakes
R1 rotors
94 535 rear wheel
steering stem bearings
new swinger
fork seals
haynes manual
pivot bolt
a couple missing OEM engine parts
Frame tubing

everything else has either been made or i have had it on hand.

and now, for the pictures. (i know you just scrolled through that list you picture whores) ;)

I got my new neck turned and tested the stem with the new All Balls tapered roller bearings... VERY nice

and got it on the headstock jig

Got my wheel lugs modified so i could finish my axle design.

I also got my gussets made for the lower frame:

Started work on my rear wheel swap. here are the two wheels. stock and a 94 virago 535 rear rim

the drive splines are a BIT different but the bolt pattern and the ID is the same. the problem is the radius on the hub is different and has to be cut down slightly to let the 920 drive spline engage the bolt surface.

However other than that everything goes together! even the drum brake is a perfect swap.

This is not for the virago, but i thought i would post some pictures. I am anodizing some headlight bracket fork clamps for a forum member.

Here they are prepped and ready to go in the "tank":

I use 5 gallon buckets and a 50 amp manual battery charger

after about an hour in the acid it gets dyed and sealed, and turns out like this:

BIG QUESTION!!! Going to be making my axle and spacers so that i can finalize the work spacing before making my triples. it is looking like my fork spacing is going to have to be about 9" stock it was about 8" is that going to adversely affect performance?

thanks for looking
~Chris

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
nice work! much better than those TV guys who just bolt parts together. this is actual building and fabrication.

not sure but i think the added fork spacing might make steering a bit heavier, all other things being equal, (rake & trail). also you may want to add a fork brace to combat any additional flex.

41 - 60 of 499 Posts