Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Been hankering to build something recently, and my lovely wife told me that i couldn't mess with the Buell because she liked to ride it how it was, so i picked up a 1982 Yamaha Virago 920 for $300. The bike had been sitting outside under a tarp for a while and was in pretty rough condition, but as i am only planning on keeping the engine and swingarm, it fit the bill quite nicely.

My plan is to strip it down, build a custom frame, tank and tail. My goal is to have a striped down bike that is basically wheels and an engine. I haven't decided completely on the styling, however i am going to be putting spokes on it and the bodywork will be primarily carbon fiber. Oh and the other thing is i am going to do my best to not spend any money from our budget on the bike. I am planing on funding the bike with side-work. so if you have anything that you need done, hit me up.

here it is in the truck on the way home:

Here is the bike as it sits newly introduced to its stable-mate.

I also have parts left over from the last build, including these USD forks from a GSXR 750 that were in really bad shape that i cleaned up and am rebuilding.

before:

During:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wish I could find deals like that around me. Everyone here thinks they have a museum piece to be featured on the latest episode of chasing classics or something.

Looking forward to what you do with it, have seen some really cool Virago restomods. :rock:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could find deals like that around me. Everyone here thinks they have a museum piece to be featured on the latest episode of chasing classics or something.

Looking forward to what you do with it, have seen some really cool Virago restomods. :rock:
well it wasnt exactly "around me" it was 6 hours away, but it was worth it. A member from Custom Fighters sold it to me.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
This oughta be good. When you get a chance, PM me some price range examples for your knives. I might order one for a Christmas present.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
That headlight is hideous! WTF Yamaha?! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
not as hideous as the sound of the starter

I have the XV920R, same engine, frame, but enclosed chain drive instead of shaft, analog gauges, 18" rear wheel and 9" dia round (seca) headlamp

seems like I have to replace the starter or starter parts every 3000 miles or so, when new it sounds like there's rocks in it

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not as hideous as the sound of the starter

I have the XV920R, same engine, frame, but enclosed chain drive instead of shaft, analog gauges, 18" rear wheel and 9" dia round (seca) headlamp

seems like I have to replace the starter or starter parts every 3000 miles or so, when new it sounds like there's rocks in it
i have been reading about fixes for that and hope to eliminate the bag of rocks problem. I will also be retro-fitting at least one oil cooler on the bike. as well as hopefully switching to a single carb.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ghetto subscribed... can't wait... any thoughts to using the GSXR front's for this build? Maybe that will be overkill for what you are thinking... I'd love to hear what "type" of bike you want to build. I think I remember them doing a cafe build with a similar bike on Cafe Racer (TV show). Can't wait to see what you are thinking.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ghetto subscribed... can't wait... any thoughts to using the GSXR front's for this build? Maybe that will be overkill for what you are thinking... I'd love to hear what "type" of bike you want to build. I think I remember them doing a cafe build with a similar bike on Cafe Racer (TV show). Can't wait to see what you are thinking.
Hey,
yeah the GSXR forks are for the build. They will be going together with custom triples, and a spoke 16" front wheel. it is going to be a cafe racer with a blend of modern and retro (hopefully)

i am aiming for a combination of this:

and this:

custom frame, custom tank, custom tail. some performance mods on the engine...

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Hey,
yeah the GSXR forks are for the build. They will be going together with custom triples, and a spoke 16" front wheel. it is going to be a cafe racer with a blend of modern and retro (hopefully)

i am aiming for a combination of this:

and this:

custom frame, custom tank, custom tail. some performance mods on the engine...
Gotta love the typhoon! Can't wait to read more of this build! I followed the CBR build! Can't wait to see what you can do with it!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yep, that was the bike I was refering to... can't wait to see what you come up with, I love your work...
Toran

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Subbed..your builds are like an awesome TV show.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 499 Posts