Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1301 - 1306 of 1306 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
Also, check out the Buell forums for information regarding catch cans.
I did some reading about the catch cans and found out a bunch of different options for design and placement. however, i was wondering what is it that you hook this can TO? which hose?

i received no information with my bike, no owners manual nor work manual no documentation of any kind, so some general info like that would be the biggest help right now.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
yep! i got 5 or 6 calls and got full asking price from the first guy to come look at it. he didnt even haggle. i certainly cant complain.
Now you know to ask for $1k more than you think you should on your next build. :)

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
As long as you don't just hit the starter and roll away it should be fine. You'll know right away if you don't warm it up enough. Mine spits and coughs and misses when it's cold. And I mean a lot! There's no mistaking it.

As far as the catch can goes, there's a breather hose that comes out of each rocker box that vent into the clean side of the air box. Take those two hoses, connect them together via a T fitting and route some new hose off the T down to your catch can. All of the connections can be accessed by removing the airbox from the bike. Oh, every screw on a Buell is T27 torx. Be sure to include a breather filter somewhere in the system. A lot of people on buellxb.com run an open hose out the bottom of the bike, but that's really hack/trashy. Also, be sure to plug the air box where you removed the hoses. Of course, you are the master, so I don't have to tell you how not to hack your bike together. ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nice new ride Knifey... I dig the Buells, I wish I could get my hands on an XB (like yours) with the Rotax powerplant, that's still an HD powerplant right? Nice looking Buell, very nice...
Toran

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Basic info- engine oil is in the swing arm. The proper procedure to check it is to warm up the engine and shut it down. Leave the bike on the side stand, clean off the dipstick, then screw it in and back out to measure oil level. Kind of different from most other bikes... Engine uses 20w50, does not need to be bike specific. Primary and transmission should use specialty trans/primary oil, but 10w40 is safe too. Wet clutch is in the primary, so you do have to be sure that oil is safe for the clutch. I'll look up the change intervals in my manual tonight when I get home.

There's no valve or belt maintenance needed, just visual belt inspection. Service life of the belt is 100k miles. Other than that, there's nothing unique in the way of maintenance or upkeep. Apparently the ECM is pretty finicky about exhaust changes though. Even a slip on requires a tune as it ends up running really lean.

Google the white wire mod. On the xb9's there is a timing retard circuit (for sound emissions purposes) that receives signal via a white wire. Removing the wire from the plug going into the ECM disables the timing retard function much like an aTRE. Some owners report more seat of the pants hp, but virtually all owners report smoother throttle response at slow speed (sound familiar?).

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
Basic info- engine oil is in the swing arm. The proper procedure to check it is to warm up the engine and shut it down. Leave the bike on the side stand, clean off the dipstick, then screw it in and back out to measure oil level. Kind of different from most other bikes... Engine uses 20w50, does not need to be bike specific. Primary and transmission should use specialty trans/primary oil, but 10w40 is safe too. Wet clutch is in the primary, so you do have to be sure that oil is safe for the clutch. I'll look up the change intervals in my manual tonight when I get home.

There's no valve or belt maintenance needed, just visual belt inspection. Service life of the belt is 100k miles. Other than that, there's nothing unique in the way of maintenance or upkeep. Apparently the ECM is pretty finicky about exhaust changes though. Even a slip on requires a tune as it ends up running really lean.

Google the white wire mod. On the xb9's there is a timing retard circuit (for sound emissions purposes) that receives signal via a white wire. Removing the wire from the plug going into the ECM disables the timing retard function much like an aTRE. Some owners report more seat of the pants hp, but virtually all owners report smoother throttle response at slow speed (sound familiar?).
sweet!
to do list:
catch tank mod
white wire mod
both headlights on mod

I have a the pro option exhaust but it was "stock" and i dont really plan on changing it. i am going to clean it up and paint it, but i want to keep it stock for reliability's sake.

thanks for the help!

1301 - 1306 of 1306 Posts