Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1306 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
when you say "redo the bottom end" what do you mean? because i would like to.
By bottom end I refer to the full rotating assembly:
Pistons(cleaned)/rings(replaced)
Cranshaft(journals polished)/bearings(replaced if necessary)
Connecting Rods(cleaned/inspected)/bearings(replaced if necessary)
and anything you can do to freshen up the crankcase and cylinders such as honing the cylinders to remove the glazed look.

If anyone else with engine rebuilding experience wants to bring up anything I have missed or neglected please do!
It will cost more sweet mullah to do all of it if you decide to take it that far and it is pretty time consuming at that but since you've got it this far apart you might as well. you said it was used as a track bike by a previous owner and that will beat on internals pretty hard so a good inspection of wear is deffinately in order. post up some pics of the inner cylinder walls. i'm curious as to what they look like up close.

By the way! I love your SVS! its fuggin awsome

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
If there's a special Honda tool needed, and the bike is even remotely common, there's almost certainly someone who has figured out a replacement for it. My VFR supposedly needs one for the fork seals, but a $3 piece of PVC pipe works just fine.
Looks great! I cant wait to see the final product. Clean build is right that bike is going to look sick! Seems a little beyond "simple" though haha.

I agree with the Haynes manual comment, bought one for the SV a few weeks ago, what a help esp being able to plan out what needs to be done before you get started.

Keep thos pics coming.

Cheers!

I just need to find a M20 1.5 bolt to do the trick, however, that is easier said than done. i think i may have found a place that has some though... gonna try that. the alternator magneto is the only think keeping me from splitting the cases.

the haynes manual rocks, allows me to plan my work time knowing what i have to do. as for the clean and simple, those more discribe the look i was going for. a clean bike with simple lines. it is turing into alot more work than i though. but that just means that i get to work on it longer. i cant loose!

thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
i did some work.. and it didnt cost me a cent!

Some sand-blasted goodness!

oil cooler in some pine-sol

i used a file to get all these molding flaws that were hiding under the paint removed... have to re-blast...

Also... took apart my brakes... got a stripped bolt out... only to find out that the bleeder vavles were corroded in place. :(

So! i have a new set of front brakes in the mail to me ($12 shipped!) and a 02 yzf6 radiator in perfect condition (or so they say) for $20 now i just gotta sell the jetta.. make bank and order a bunch of overpriced OEM honda parts. that and i have most of the stuff to start on the tail molds... so i may do that too.

anyway.. cheers!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
you know what? i just realized i never posted the end of the engine tear down! i have the pictures hosted on photobucket but i never put them on here! i cant belive it!

well here they are:

I had to find this bolt to serve as my "special tool to pop the alternator rotor off:

Random picture of the wear (oir lack thereof) on the camshafts & bearings (is it bad?)

removed a gajillion bolts, and organized them very nicely in a piece of carboard to keep track of them, and then split the crankcases:

apart!

who knows how this got here...

crankshaft....

Pistons removed:

wear on one of the crankshaft bearings (is it good or bad?)

here be a mighty pile-o-parts! arrrrrr

anyway... sorry for not posting that... i did it prolly 2-3 weeks ago.

keepin you posted!
~Chris

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
to hell with the bearings you should replace them anyway with brand new ones. post some pics of the crankshaft journals so we can see the wear patterns on them. they might need a polishin at very least. everything looks pretty good so far. hella good job man keep it up

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
to hell with the bearings you should replace them anyway with brand new ones. post some pics of the crankshaft journals so we can see the wear patterns on them. they might need a polishin at very least. everything looks pretty good so far. hella good job man keep it up
What are the crankshaft journals? i will get pics when i know what to take a picture of. All new bearings are going in. for the crankshaft camshafts and everything.. no worries there

I'd love to be able to tear an engine apart like that and rebuild it, but I don't have the knowledge... Are you using any sort of shop manual or anything?
if you can follow instructions and be pretty clean about it, you shouldnt have a problem doing the same thing. I am using a Haynes manual. I have really wanted to pull an engine apart... so i am! you can do it

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the final result.
you an me both!

I want to read more, and most of all I WANT MORE PICTURES! Looking good, I wish I had 1/4 of your patience and know how
more pictures will come. right now i am at a money roadblock. my wifes car was dying, so we got her a new car, and the day after that MY truck engine blew up... so... money is not flowing freely right now. but work will be done soon.

thanks so much for the encouragement!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So I that this thread had new posts... first thougt was "PICTURES!" I was wrong :-(
here you go!
update time.

So.. my truck threw a rod about two weeks ago... and blew a hole in the side of the engine. this is the result:

so i spent the next two weeks searching for a replacement. the plan was to buy a $500 car (which is what i could afford...) my parents said that they wanted to use some of the money they set aside for my college (which i never used as i got a full ride) to get me a new truck. (so they could use it too!) anyway.. so i found and purchased this:

So now with money in the bank and a car sale pending, i can get back to work.

here is the 01 R6 radiator that i got to replace the stock one:

I won some F2 front brake calipers on ebay for $0.99 + $12 shipping.. and when the box arrived it contained this:

Front brake calipers
rear brake caliper
Master cylinder
Clutch lever and cable
Left clip-on controls and choke cables
Right clip-on controls (no ignition)
Front sprocket cover

all in all worth the $12 :LolLolLolLol:

So, now i need to figure out which bearings to buy so that i can put the bike back together. Any help here would be appreciated.

So that is:

Crankshaft:
L 11111
L BBBB

Crankcase:
BABBB

And for the pistons:
1 B2
2 B2
3 B1
4 B1

Which bearings do i need? i am pretty sure i need:
rod bearings: 2 brown 2 green
cranshaft: 4 yellow 1 pink

can i get confirmation on that?

Then.. i did some cleaning. this was the area around thre sprocket.. very cruddy

More to come!
thanks
~Chris

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
so i spent the next two weeks searching for a replacement. the plan was to buy a $500 car (which is what i could afford...) my parents said that they wanted to use some of the money they set aside for my college (which i never used as i got a full ride) to get me a new truck. (so they could use it too!) anyway.. so i found and purchased this:
Nice looking Taco :thumbsup:

81 - 100 of 1306 Posts