Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1306 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
the last week has been really busy for me, and the work that i have gotten done ha been relatively unnoticeable. I have tweaked alot of the stuff i had already done, primarily the side panels and the tail, but also the undertail and i filled that "hole" in the side of the tail.

I only have a little bit more welding before i can do the finer grinding and bondo work.

fitting alot closer...

the metal is there.. and the bondo will help with some of the "blending"

I am considering making the tail carbon fiber as well... and just using the steel as a mold then cutting it off except for "tabs"

what do you think?
thanks
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
whats up yall?
got a little bit of "tweaking" done last night. that's really all i have been doing for a while... but since i am a pic whore i thought that i would just post some pictures and pretend i have been doing work!
here is the tail cap welded on:

the biggest obstacle right now is getting everything to fit correctly without "forcing" it, because if i am going to make CF parts from them i want them to be correct and go together without warping.

I also got the undertail in and the taillight realigned

then i pushed it up to the road and snapped a picture. i think it will look less like a bicycle with the engine in there... or i am hoping it does :nuts:

anyway... i am leaning towards using the steel body work to make a CF tail to save on weight as well as to eliminate my ugly welding as much as possible. the CF will be mostly painted and i am thinking a White/CF/teal theme sort of like a wasp...

I think that all of the welding is done on the tail, so i stripped off all the paint and am going to apply bondo today or tommorow. after that it will be mostly composite work. here are pictures of how it sits with the bare metal:

thanks for looking.. more interesting stuff to come!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have done some work.. not much, i had to switch out the key-set on my wife's jetta this week and the ignition was a PITA. but now her locks work, and i got to D some H

Got to play around with some bondo...

these will be completely replicated in CF. i haven't decided for sure on the tail.

thanks for looking. engine overhaul coming soon to a garage near you!
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
okay guys... change of plans here. i really didnt like how the cap fit together and if i made the tail CF it was going to have to bolt on.. and screw up "clean" look... so then i thought.. why not make the whole thing removable like a race bike? so... all the time i screwed around with getting it to bolt to those fasteners... wasted. :mad:

alas and alack...

so i will try and make a two peice mold for the tail.
so i bondoed everything smooth:

I have some carbon fiber tubing that i was thinking about using as a trellis support underneath, but we will see how that works out.

now it has paint on it. i love red primer... sanding and getting ready to pull some molds.

thanks!
~Chris

more after today
thanks
~Chris

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
quick update here... i know.. boring boring... when am i actually gonna do the fun stuff?

soon...

got the new water pump in; old vs "new"

and also stripped the tank... and found BONDO! yay more damage! :shocker: they are really shallow dents, and hopefully i can just pop them out, but if anybody has a spare 600f2 tank laying around they want to ship my way, i'll take it! it never ends...

tail is ready for molding, as are the side covers. gonna hopefully do the tank next, then rebuild the engine. once it is rebuilt i will put it back in and fit the new radiator and radiator shrouds as well as the belly pan. that way i can do all the carbon wrapping and production at the same time, as well as do all the welding on the frame for the belly pan and shrouds.

Chris out

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
okay.... been off the grid for a while, but i was working some... i promise!

First off, i cleaned up the tank and fixed the dents:

Then, primer, then sanding, then bondo, then more sanding.. and so on Ad Infinium. and there is more to come, though i am less concerned with the tank since it is going to be wrapped.

look mom! no dents!

then, cause i needed them, i fabbed up some rear-set adapter plates. Prototype first to see if it clear everything:

yes it works, but needed to be tweaked a bit, then made in 5160 steel, with some lovely countersinking...

a little grinder work, and viola!

Now with the rearset:

and i pulled this off a 06 cbr600rr:

and some gratuitous glamor shots, cause thats how i roll yo!

I also got my fender in. gonna be working with a chrome 84 magna front fender. gonna mod it to fit and then duplicate it. i like the shape, and it is steel so it will be shortened and beautified

next; engine rebuild!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
okay!

now that the current body work is done and ready for carbon fiber, i am going to rebuild the engine. that way i can mount it in the frame and do any welding necessary on the frame
(radiator and exhaust mounts at least) so that i can then paint the frame and engine.

Now, i will say this up front, i do not know what wear looks like, so if you see something that should be fixed or replaced PLEASE shout it out. i need you engine gurus to help me out here. thanks!

Here we go:

Valve cover removed, i didnt figure you needed a picture of the valve cover on....

Now, loosen the bold in reverse numerical order to allow the covers to de-compress evenly (dont worry... they are numbered)

i guess i should post pics of the cams to check for abnormal wear or damage...

valve followers numbered for removal:

valve followers and shims removed

head removed: look at the water where the head gasket was...

Blown head gasket...now, the $5 million question is... is the head warped?

Clutch cover removed... and why is there coolant in here?

it would appear that someone has been here before me... (and the put on the washer that says "outside" on one side... the wrong way around...) FAIL! new nut ordered...

is this stock?! i know one of the POs used this as a race bike...

removing the oil pan... EW! at least it isnt milky right? could all this have leaked through the head gasket? this seems like alot of "leakage"

oil cooler...

oil cooler GONE!

removing the gear shift mechanism

used a wire brush on the piston heads... cleaned up real nice!

stator cover removed:

Pile of parts on the bench...

I am kinda stuck cause i need a "honda service too" to remove the magneto as well as a funky torx, so i have to find something that works, or find a tool. any info on that? after that comes off i will be able to split the cases and double check that there isnt a hole the coolant is leaking out of, then everything will get cleaned and re-assembled with new gaskets and seals... i am gonna do a valve job for sure, but not till i get everything else back on.

anything else i should do while i have it open?

thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just finished reading the whole thread and I wanna know more!

Gosh it feels like a really good tv show and you can't wait for the next episode...
I bet the season finale will be awesome!

Great job man! I saw your knives and they look amazing, I made a couple too I started last year then kinda abandoned it, now I have a half finished blade that needs some loving and a handle...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Wow.... I wish I had that type of mechanical know-how! Bravo!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just finished reading the whole thread and I wanna know more!

Gosh it feels like a really good tv show and you can't wait for the next episode...
I bet the season finale will be awesome!

Great job man! I saw your knives and they look amazing, I made a couple too I started last year then kinda abandoned it, now I have a half finished blade that needs some loving and a handle...
thanks man! i am honestly looking forward to the finale too. *grins* one step closer

Wow.... I wish I had that type of mechanical know-how! Bravo!
it costs $20.. and is called a "haynes manual" it would be groping in the dark without it. def. worth its weight in gold.

thanks for looking guys! a guy here at work said that i should get the head machined while i have it apart because it is prolly warped. The shop he recomended quoted me $75, which isnt bad but kills me cause i am a machinist, but i think it would be pushing "non-work related" to an extreem.

I am also looking at getting new piston rings. but at $40 a piston it is kinda staggering. any recommendations other than Bike Bandit? do you think i need them?

·
Registered
104 Posts
what kind of funky torx does it need? you can get security torx in smaller sizes at harbor freight for really cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
harbor freight has whole sets of security bits for mega cheap. DOOOOO change the piston rings while you are in there and might as well deglaze the cylinder walls so the new ones break in nice and clean. If you are doing a valve job on the top end you might as well redo to whole bottom end while you are at it. when it's all said and done you will have a brand spankin new old bike.

hella good job man. keep it up. lovin the thread.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
harbor freight has whole sets of security bits for mega cheap. DOOOOO change the piston rings while you are in there and might as well deglaze the cylinder walls so the new ones break in nice and clean. If you are doing a valve job on the top end you might as well redo to whole bottom end while you are at it. when it's all said and done you will have a brand spankin new old bike.

hella good job man. keep it up. lovin the thread.
when you say "redo the bottom end" what do you mean? because i would like to.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If there's a special Honda tool needed, and the bike is even remotely common, there's almost certainly someone who has figured out a replacement for it. My VFR supposedly needs one for the fork seals, but a $3 piece of PVC pipe works just fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks great! I cant wait to see the final product. Clean build is right that bike is going to look sick! Seems a little beyond "simple" though haha.

I agree with the Haynes manual comment, bought one for the SV a few weeks ago, what a help esp being able to plan out what needs to be done before you get started.

Keep thos pics coming.

Cheers!

61 - 80 of 1306 Posts