Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1306 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow. Great fabrication work. It's looking really nice. Interesting to see how it turns out.

btw did you take into account the effects of welding? Not saying it's going to break or anything but from my experience the brittleness can cause problems in areas that see constant shock loads. Built a formula style race car at UW and had to heat treat everything after welding or it'd be incredibly brittle.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Wow. Great fabrication work. It's looking really nice. Interesting to see how it turns out.

btw did you take into account the effects of welding? Not saying it's going to break or anything but from my experience the brittleness can cause problems in areas that see constant shock loads. Built a formula style race car at UW and had to heat treat everything after welding or it'd be incredibly brittle.
What all did you guys treat?

So that makes at least 3 of us on here that did Formula SAE competitions at school, maybe we should get our own sub-forum. ;D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow, looks great. But did you say "Simple"???
hey i was meaning simple design-wise I am going for a really clean simple look... we will see if it works! thanks!

Is the seat at a really steep angle or is that just the pictures?
it is just the pictures (i think). and the seat isnt totally secured in the pictures.. i just finished fixing that up this last weekend.

So that makes at least 3 of us on here that did Formula SAE competitions at school, maybe we should get our own sub-forum. ;D
hey
thanks for the info on on the welding. i am not really concerned about the body work as it is mild steel and wont harden, plus it isnt structural but i did go over the sub-frame and annealed it with a mapp-gas torch. the whole heat treating cycle is kinda critical in knives too. How did you go about doing it on your race-cars? (that is really cool btw)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just wanted to say, i had no idea how someone approached a project like this and what the general steps and order should be.. this is great. your really on a roll man, your bike design is innovative and just cool!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just wanted to say, i had no idea how someone approached a project like this and what the general steps and order should be.. this is great. your really on a roll man, your bike design is innovative and just cool!
hey
thanks so much! i did alot of reading and scanning of build thread in order to get what littler bearings i have. But we will see how it progresses. the hardest part is figuring out what order will not make the next step harder.

I do have an update too.. small in size as i had a small hiccup... when i made the templates for the side-covers and the tail, i didnt have the seat in the proper position, so my templates were off. so the first order of business was the secure the seat.

Then, before i could work on the tail cap, i needed to finalize the "front" part of the tail, so, i did got that welded up: (and you can see part of the seat securing)

Now, i am having trouble fitting the cap as it has to both be removable, symmetrical and leave enough room to fit the tail-light.. this is the idea.. but just not good enough. i will weld in the tail-light first, then fit the tail.

then i started work on the side covers:

the problem is... these have to be removable too, and secure.

I also got the Jardine can in the mail. got this Titanium can for $40 on ebay... gonna try and mount it under the engine by shortening the can and the header.

anyway, i should have another update after working tonight
i want to get the side covers and tail on.

thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts

I did the steering system and some of the chassis. We used a 4130 steel space frame this year, so we had to heat treat the whole chassis. After welding a little on the tie rods, it was impossible to machine unless we heat treated it. Ate up drill bits.

What team were you on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey i was meaning simple design-wise I am going for a really clean simple look... we will see if it works! thanks!

it is just the pictures (i think). and the seat isnt totally secured in the pictures.. i just finished fixing that up this last weekend.

hey
thanks for the info on on the welding. i am not really concerned about the body work as it is mild steel and wont harden, plus it isnt structural but i did go over the sub-frame and annealed it with a mapp-gas torch. the whole heat treating cycle is kinda critical in knives too. How did you go about doing it on your race-cars? (that is really cool btw)
Looks like you know your stuff. We took the big stuff to a professional heat treating facility, while we did the smaller stuff in our shop ovens. Break out the TTT chart and bake away. I'd just heat it up to 1550 F, leave it in there for a few hours and shut off the oven and let it cool overnight. Worked well enough.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like you know your stuff. We took the big stuff to a professional heat treating facility, while we did the smaller stuff in our shop ovens. Break out the TTT chart and bake away. I'd just heat it up to 1550 F, leave it in there for a few hours and shut off the oven and let it cool overnight. Worked well enough.
yeah that chromium and molybdenum in the 4130 makes it harden just from the welding temps, i honestly dont know what the tubing i am using is (i picked it up for free...) And while you were annealing your stuff i can only normalize with the heat up/cool down times the Mapp torch can produce.

Got any pictures of the finished frame?

·
Registered
104 Posts
not sure how much they cost but an easy way to do quick access panels that are secure is with camloc fasteners (or something similar) we used them on airplanes in the AF so they can withstand some high speeds at least. might take a little work to put in something to mount the backing plates to but if you're like me and never leave the house without a leatherman they're easy to get into.

http://www.afscamloc.net/xua/downloads/Camloc%20Quick%20Release%20Fasteners.pdf

·
Registered
220 Posts
nice formula car...your school do baja too?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Few blurry pictures of the frame / car with a coooooool video showing a little of the manufacturing.
Go Dawgs!!

not sure how much they cost but an easy way to do quick access panels that are secure is with camloc fasteners (or something similar) we used them on airplanes in the AF so they can withstand some high speeds at least.
What did you work on? When you first linked to the camloc stuff, I thought they were going to be the quick access push button locks used on commonly accessed stuff like oil filler doors, rescue panels, etc, wasn't quite expecting what was in that PDF.

·
Registered
774 Posts
More!!!

Seriously, this looks great. I'll be watching...

21 - 40 of 1306 Posts