Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off, if you smoke, it's ok. It's your right. I'm not going to go off on all that "smoking is bad" crap. I'd probably smoke if I had the money. Smoke if you got 'em!

But I was riding home yesterday afternoon. Very hot out, so like an idiot, didn't have my jacket on. (mistake #1) About half way to the next light, a red Ford F-150 pulls out into my lane. Didn't cut me off, just pulled out. Since the tailgates on these new trucks are approx. 10' high, I ride a little more left than I usually do, so he can see me in his mirror. (mistake #2) Apparently the guys testicles were feeling small that day, cause he kept flooring it and pulling away from me, then hitting the breaks cause of traffic. I kept my distance... just in case. We stop at the next light and he continuously revs his engine, blowing all kinds of crap in my face. I just shake my head.

I'm not sure if what happened next was intentional. But regardless... it pissed me off.

As we start off again and get up to about 50 or so, his discards his lit cigarette out his window... and down my shirt. I thought it bounced off at first, until I felt it burn me... repeatedly as it travelled lower and lower. Luckily, I was able to untuck my shirt and grab it as I prepared to find a spot to pull over. I almost throw it away... almost.

I keep the cigarette... still smoking... and make my way next to the man with the testicle problem at the next light. I hold it up to him and just look at him. "What?", he says. I toss the cigarette back into his cab and ride off, saying nothing. Now that I think back, I probably could have come up with all kinds of stuff to say, but it was proably bad enough tossing the cigarette back to him.

I know most new cars don't have ashtrays, but this crap with throwing your butts out the window when your done with them really erks me. Please stop.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
You did the right thing...
I've been hit with lit cigarettes but none were even remotely intentional and none ever did anything but bounce off.

I think if one actually burned me I'd call the man and tell them the driver threw it at me... even if it's a lie the careless driver deserves it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In korea, most drivers are more considerate about that... they flick off the cherry before dropping the butt

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Yeah, i've swerved around more bouncing butts than I can count. Its great you got the opportunity to return his cigarette :twisted: but man, you are lucky he didn't decide to mow you down!

·
Registered
359 Posts
JPDD said:
Yeah, i've swerved around more bouncing butts than I can count. Its great you got the opportunity to return his cigarette :twisted: but man, you are lucky he didn't decide to mow you down!
+1 - guys in trucks are a really bad mix. Its like when they are in a truck, they have to be the "biggest" man possible.

I hate when people toss buds of a car. I was once at a light and someone tossed on right on me with out looking! - They now have no mirror and my leather has a nice burn mark on the right side. When they pulled up to me at the next light, I just said "sorry I flung my hand out as your cig burned my arm. my bad..."

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
DJ_Saunter said:
they flick off the cherry before dropping the butt
When I smoked I wouldn't ever flicka lit ciggy out of my window. If there were vehicles behind me- I'd hold the ciggy out of the window til it went out and put the butt back into my pack. I've been hit by lit ciggies multiple times. One time in traffic! It hit me right in my faceshield. I rode up next the bitch that threw it and told her that her what she did and she gave attitude. So I told her if it had burned me I would scraped her eyes out w/my keys. She then tore through traffic to get away from me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
that's pretty funny. but as far as i know, cars are still coming with ashtrays. it's the cig lighters that are options now. if that makes any sense.

so those assh()les have no excuses

·
Registered
142 Posts
Way to go! I've had ciggy butts hit me in the visor before. I even hate being stuck beside or behind a smoking cager because then I have to smell that nasty-ass smoke until we start moving again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
...Now that I think back, I probably could have come up with all kinds of stuff to say, but it was proably bad enough tossing the cigarette back to him.

I know most new cars don't have ashtrays, but this crap with throwing your butts out the window when your done with them really erks me. Please stop.
You: "Nice car"
Him: "Than.."
You: "Too bad it didn't come with an ashtray." *flick butt back into cab*

I can't stand it when I see people doing that. I'm just waiting for something like you had happen (minus the burns, I'd rather just catch it against the jacket) and do exactly what you did.

AJ

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
No ashtrays

I find it aggravating that many cars don't come with ashtrays. It may be "politically correct", and as a reformed smoker (quit 25 years ago) I don't need an ashtray. However it does contribute to the litter on our streets and poses dangers to anyone on the street, including bicyclists, motorcyclists, skaters and pedestrians. I've seen some folks put their arms down and flick the porcine remains straight down, which is at least a bit more street friendly.

One solution would be to start issuing tickets for littering. Where I live a single filter tip is considered litter and can, theoretically, net the pitcher a $500 fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i live the pacific northwest. you'll get a $500 ticket for throwing any burning material out the window. we have a telephone number to call the man and make reports.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: No ashtrays

andyauger said:
I don't need an ashtray. However it does contribute to the litter on our streets and poses dangers to anyone on the street, including bicyclists, motorcyclists, skaters and pedestrians.
One solution would be to start issuing tickets for littering. Where I live a single filter tip is considered litter and can, theoretically, net the pitcher a $500 fine.
I agree completely. I personally hate seeing cigarette butts all over the ground near entry ways to buildings and simply just all over everything (not to mention the whole littering while driving aspect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What a bunch of haters, its obvious that starter of this thread was a redneck's victim but he acted cool and got even. But the rest comments about knockin on somebody :roll: , ohh yeah I smoke and I got no ashtray in my car for some reason, throw it out the window neva had any problems. Only ones some stupid lady made a comment about wild fires in California and I may cause same here when its 80% of humidity outside and there is no grass around to burn. Reading this board makes me think that squids, 'stupid' cagers and smokers should be shot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks Like I'm an asshole :D :D

There are ALOT of my butts on the ground from ID to FL,...Enjoy!! :twisted:

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Either in this state, or one nearby, or it was a proposed law or a passed law (yeah i know, I"m vague as sh*t) happened not to long ago I read where you get a hefty fine for doing that.

I want to say it was like 10g's or something.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Besides the obvious law that its littering... duh. I'm pretty sure that here in Texas its a much higher fine for throwing cigarrette butts out the window. I have personally seen fires start from butts thrown out on the dry grass on the side of the road during the summer months. You know, March through October ;)

Why anyone would think that this is acceptable behavior is beyond me. Those of you who do this and think its no big deal, grow up and think about someone besides yourself for a change please.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
In most states cigarette butts are exempt from littering laws. Papa-G they recently passed a law like that in marion county. Most others in the state are trying but In has one of the highest smoking popluations in the country. Butts are a road hazard same as rocks, debris from vehicles and animals. You get on a bike you step out of the protection a car or truck offers. It comes with being on a bike and the solution is rather simple. Its funny how riding up beside the car to throw a butt back in which is extremely likely to make the person swerve as they take there eyes off of the road to get the butt to throw it back out is acceptable. But the guy who almost got ran over kicked the car and happened to kick the mirror isnt :roll:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts