Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself & 6 other members from our local riding club "onedownfiveup.com"went on a sunny 45 deg. afternoon ride through the backroads of Ct. the day before yesterday, when a woman in a Taurus pulled out from a bank exit in the middle of our group.......we we're all going approx 45mph. @ the time, three of the seven riders passed w/out incident, my friend Tim on his 05 Busa was the 4th. rider, i was # 5 right behind him, the woman pulled out about 75ft. in ft. of Tim.......he  braked, got sideway's & flipped, the bike tumbled into the snowbank, Tim bounced off the back of the car & tumbled underneath it...........this was all occuring about 30ft. in ft. of me  as i did my best to avoid the mess unfolding in ft. of me....i actually had to cross the yellow to avoid going down ,but sometimes ya just gotta bend the rules to stay upright.......Tim is recovering, he's just really bruised up & his bike has about 5k in damages, im just glad it did'nt turn out worse. The woman was given a ticket for" failure to grant the right of way", in hindsight, i could SWEAR this lady looked...but she obviously did not see us anyway, soo EVERYBODY........RIDE as if your INVISIBLE at ALL TIMES, never assume someone can see you , even if there lookin your way._______5TOEZ_______

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Glad that he wasn't more seriously hurt, when you said he went under the car, I was sure the story was going to be much worse.
Well done for avoiding the scene in front of you.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Wow, dude. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse than it turned out. Glad everyone is ok and will recover (what sounds like) fully. I'm also thankful that the car drivr was cited. That's nice. Just goes to show why you should always be aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Glad everything turned out relatively OK given what could've really happened. Banged up and sore but at least everyone still has all of their parts and the ability to use them.

Sometimes I can kind of understand how a driver doesn't see the single motorcyclist on the road. But to pull out and into the middle of a group of seven riders just baffles me. They must've seen the first few riders go by, why not be a bit more cautious and take an extra glance for more riders? Guess you need to ride to fully understand this concept. :-\

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
This is why insurance costs are so high.  People who want to sue at every whim.  I'm not saying the lady was right, but accidents happen.
accidents happen? Going by 5toe's story, I'd hardly call this a simple "accident." Gross negligence is more like it.

If it were me, I would NOT just go sue happy on her ass...but she is, IMO, without a doubt responsible for the damages to his bike and his medical bills.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Tim is fine,he's healing up well & he settled out of court, got a Brand new bike & 5,000 dollars for bodily damages, gear, etc:.im happy for him_______5TOEZ______P.S. considering this woman ALMOST killed him (her rear tire missed his head by 2")i think she got off pretty easy!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm glad he's healing up good. Hopefully he will get back in the saddle. I think the lady got off easy, but it seems to go that way when motorcycles are involved. It seems we don't get much respect when the courts and accidents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems like your justice system runs quick in the us

to get that kind of result in the uk would probably take 2 or 3 years if not longer :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
fivetoez said:
Update: Tim is fine,he's healing up well & he settled out of court
Justice system not involved. Basically he got what he wanted out of the deal, and she avoided the courts where she probably would have been financially raped well into next year. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
noted ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
$5000 for medical and gear? not enough for me. i would think medical in it self would be around $3-5k just being run over by a car?

then you could easily spend $3-4k easily on top of line gear itself. or like me $2k just on mediocre gear. lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a bummer man, but I'm glad everyone made it out alright and especially your friend, not everyone is that lucky.

So I started doing this thing about a year and a half ago. what you do is when you see someone on the side of the road or someone about to cross your path you just start swerving around a little in your lane. It's been really effective. I pioneered the idea on my scooter because that thing is even smaller than the SV. I'm sure other people do it too, but it sure makes a difference. It has something to do with people tracking or noticing things in a non-continuous motion. I've been almost clocked a few times, but ever since i started this I haven't hard a problem.

Good luck to you and your friends, I've been riding for 4.5 years now and haven't smacked the pavement yet...

·
Registered
71 Posts
what if a cop is around or behind you...reason i wouldnt swerve. just makes people think you wernt in control of your bike even if the person did hit you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
glad to see that your friend is alright.
i think the military should shape their stealth aircraft like motorcycles then they would really be invisible. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
linjy3 said:
what if a cop is around or behind you...reason i wouldnt swerve. just makes people think you wernt in control of your bike even if the person did hit you.

not crazy swerving man, just like you're warming up your tires.  Nice and easy, but puts you in non-normal motion so you're more visible. 

Honestly i don't care about the cops anymore, i follow the rules and it's not really a big deal.  I don't really care what anyone else thinks either, it's about safety for me and if i have to look a little crazy to not be someone's hood ornament so be it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fivetoez said:
.we we're all going approx 45mph. @ the time, three of the seven riders passed w/out incident, my friend Tim on his 05 Busa was the 4th. rider, i was # 5 right behind him, the woman pulled out about 75ft. in ft. of Tim.......he braked, got sideway's & flipped,
I am glad your friend is alright. That being said,

Another reason to use the front brakes and leave the rear brake for parking lots. 75 feet is plenty of room to stop from 45 feet using the front brakes... even on a Busa.

To get seen, I do everything I can when riding my GSXR on the street. Rev the motor, tap the horn, sit up or stand up, where a bright helmet and jacket. The only thing I don't do is flash the headlight, too afraid that the cages will think I am giving them the go ahead flash. I also try to plan an escape route for every cage that has the possibility of pulling out and position myself accordingly. Of course, that doesn't work if you can't see them.

G

·
Just goes to show that no matter where you are in the world, there is always a wanker just waiting to knock you off your bike. I always ride with the opinion that all other road users are complete dickheads and are totally unable to see anything other than what is 5 feet in front of them. This may be a little bit of a sweeping statement but  I've been riding for 20 years and I'm still alive. Guess it works then! 8) ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts