Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to shorten my rs-3 staninless can after a fall over in my garage left the muffler with a bad dent where the clamp holds it on. I drilled the rivets and removed the back cap. the packing looks ok to me. I was just looking for some advice. will making the muffler about seven inches shorter cause any performance loss.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Micron titanium that has a dent in it that I was going to use for my SV project bike. Sounds like a good idea to me. It's that or a new can. It will definitely look cool though. I'm gonna do it. I'm just using the bike to ride around though so I'm not looking for maximum performance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it annoying loud or good loud cause its already pretty loud. how bout the lable on the side. how hard where the dash lights to do and where did you get those sweet a** mirrors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it difficult to remove that back cap? I've got a dent in my left can that I'd like to try popping out from the inside. You think that is possible?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is it annoying loud or good loud cause its already pretty loud. how bout the lable on the side. how hard where the dash lights to do and where did you get those sweet a** mirrors.
It gets a little louder, nothing that I cant get used to. I might wear earplugs this year to see if I like that better. I left the label in place and took out the lower section of the pipe. Set up your marks for the length you want to cut. I drilled the rivets, then used a grinder to cut the can weld at the lower section. Make sure not to cut into the inlet piece when you do this. I then pulled the inlet tube and the main can apart (very difficult, had to twist can while pulling it apart) Then I removed the inner perforated tube and marked it with a marker for cut down then grinded the welds on the inlet tube.

I couldnt exactly find the thread I used to make mine but this one will give you some idea
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=58679&highlight=yosh

Cut the inlet down and weld the inlet back to the perforated section. Cut the packing down and reinstall the inner tube with packing around it. It is very difficult to get it back together, you may need another person to help. Reinstall the band with aluminum rivets and enjoy.

The dash lights were a little difficult, just had to take your time. I had a crappy soldering gun at the time. Now I have a soldering iron, which would have worked better. I bought a LED kit off ebay for the lights and also got the mirrors off ebay.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is it difficult to remove that back cap? I've got a dent in my left can that I'd like to try popping out from the inside. You think that is possible?
Maybe, but you risk damaging the can a little when trying to pull it apart. They put adhesive around where the inlet and outlet assemblies are riveted on to the pipe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe, but you risk damaging the can a little when trying to pull it apart. They put adhesive around where the inlet and outlet assemblies are riveted on to the pipe.
Sounds like a heck of a job. I'll live with the dent for now. I was able to "reduce" it significantly using dry ice and a heat gun (google paintless dent removal) and it worked great but there is still a bit of a crease.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a job. I'll live with the dent for now. I was able to "reduce" it significantly using dry ice and a heat gun (google paintless dent removal) and it worked great but there is still a bit of a crease.
Yeah, for a little dent it might not be worth it. I didnt know you could reduce a dent with dry ice and a heat gun. Interesting

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, for a little dent it might not be worth it. I didnt know you could reduce a dent with dry ice and a heat gun. Interesting
I didn't know about the dry ice thing either until a friend mentioned it. It doesn't work like the videos in that it takes much longer to do but basically....

1. Buy some dry ice (grocery store usually sells it)

2. Get the dent nice and hot (heat gun, hair dryer, etc.

3. Place the drice ice on the dent and the metal will contract.

It happens very slowly and I had to repeat for a good hour until I just got tired of doing it. But the dent probably went from a 6 inch long oval to a 2 inch X 2 inch crease. Still noticeable but much less so.

I'm not sure if I could keep doing it and get the rest of the dent out this way but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow thats a long process for cutting the can. after several stops at local shops with no luck, I just threw it on my miter saw and cut it in half ( more or less). i removed the inner perforated tube 1st and cut it seperatly. no welding. just slid the inner tube back in and now i have to go borrow my dads rivet gun. sounds cool with no exhaust though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts