Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my exhaust put on (sort of) last night. I'm still not happy with how the front down pipe fits into the midpipe, but that's not my main concern right now.

When I tried to start it, the choke wouldn't move. I'm 99.98% sure/hopeful that this is because I put the spring back in there wrong. After a few tries, I got the bike started but it was running really fast, putting out a lot of white smoke, and backfiring like crazy. After a short time, my front pipe started glowing red and I shut it off.

I adjusted the idle screw to around 1500, but it won't hold there. The idle speed varies a lot and I couldn't consistently start w/o adjusting the throttle. I assume this is due to the choke being stuck "on."

I tried to ride the bike to work today but I felt it was too dangerous. It will sometimes rev up, then slow down.

Anyway, as I said, I'm hopeful that the only problem is the spring on the choke (any tips on getting this back together right?). However, running a search here has me concerned about a few other possibilities:

-choke (aka enricher) plungers stuck :(
-vacuum leak

So I'm trying to figure what else might be going on if it turns out I have more than just a problem with the left switch assembly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not in the Cleveland area, so maybe I'm way off base :D but I've pulled the carbs a few times now.

1. Make sure the needle on the plunger is straight. Last time, I found out that when the choke was off, the plunger wasn't going all the way in because the needle was tweaked to one side just enough. There's enough space in there that the plunger doesn't have to be seated in it's hole.

2. Make sure you've routed the choke cables properly.

3. Check inside the rubber boot to see if the spring is pushing against the base of the plunger. When you reassembled the choke assembly, you should have done the following: You will have to compress the spring, slip the plunger over the end of the choke cable, and once you release the spring, the plunger will not move anywhere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have the problem solved. There were two things:

1) The choke cable to the front cylinder was stuck. I yanked on it a couple of times and it came free. I noticed rust on it.

2) I put the choke switch back together wrong.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
As a Cleveland person, I'm relieved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts