Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have a problem with my choke sticking partially open, but I want to ask for some opinions before I go poking around.

Yesterday, on my ride home I notice my idle is high (normally 1200) to 2600. I readjusted it back down with the idle adjustement and it's running normal at 1200.

This morning, I choked full as normal and the bike would not start. Set the choke to 1/2 and it fired up an ran like it was on full choke. Choke off and it was back to 1200 rpm.

This makes me think the choke cable slipped and I'm running partial choke now. Does that make sense? How do I check?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I can usually tell if I leave the choke on slightly after riding the bike for a minute or 2... it feels like lurching or surging while attempting to maintain steady rpm.
That's about the only advice I can offer on diagnosing the problem, other than removing the carbs and physically checking the choke cable movement off the carb.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can usually tell if I leave the choke on slightly after riding the bike for a minute or 2... it feels like lurching or surging while attempting to maintain steady rpm.
That's about the only advice I can offer on diagnosing the problem, other than removing the carbs and physically checking the choke cable movement off the carb.
Crap, it's always done that. Someone told me that was normal for a CV carb.:(

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
mine only feel like surging when I leave the choke on. Otherwise it's pretty smooth. I've rejetted my carbs though, running 152.5/155 mains, 17.5 pilots, shimmed needles with 2.75 turns on the a/f screw.....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, it can really only be two things. The cable is seizing, or the plungers are getting stuck. Unfortunately, you have to take the carbs of (at least partially) to get a shot at taking the front carb plunger out. O-rings should be replaced after you take them out. If its the cable, you can try spraying some penetrant oil down in there and let it sit, but it might just be easier to replace the cable ($25 from dealer?). Of course, changing the cable requires you to remove the carbs (to get at that pesky front plunger).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really try to avoid pulling carbs due to my lack of mechanical skills. I don't feel any surging, so I'm going to chaulk it up to the weather until I get some additional symptoms. Right now the bike still runs well and starts fine with a little less choke.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your choke is stuck, it should result in a pretty rich smelling exhaust and a more sooty pipe. Also check your throttle cable to make sure it is not kinking somewhere. I agree with the other opinions on the choke.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I really try to avoid pulling carbs due to my lack of mechanical skills. I don't feel any surging, so I'm going to chaulk it up to the weather until I get some additional symptoms. Right now the bike still runs well and starts fine with a little less choke.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Did you get this resolved?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it was a weather related issue. I don't seem to have any problems now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Anyone help with my choke issue? I can't even use it to warm up my bike. It would shoot up a little then just die. The O-rings have been replaced and lubed and the modulation is fine.

Also, just to check, my bike does not surge or lurch when the choke is on partially or fully when riding... it would stumble and backfire and die... so I know something is not right with the carbs but it runs so good when ridden and warm... anyone know what my problem is?

I'm afraid to ride her when it's cold out and I have no choke to warm her up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts