Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I recently managed to get my hands on a 2000 naked SV650 with only 3000 miles for only £1000!

I've given it a good dose of TLC as I've cleaned and out new seals in the carbs (twice), changed the oil and filter, coolant and spark plugs. However, whenever I start it, it will idle fine for about 30 seconds and then jump up to 4000rpm and start running rough completey of it's own accord. I've narrowed it down to the choke being stuck on as when I wiggle the choke cable it at the carb it seems to affect how high it idles. I have also taken it for a little test down the street and it backfires and surges when holding constant speed so I feel like I'm fairly certain it's the choke causing the issue.

I've tried putting a new choke cable in plus taking the plungers out and carefully cleaning them but the issue still remains. I've even tried disconnecting the cable from the plungers on the rear cyclinder and that appeared to make little difference. I will try the front cylinder tomorrow as I feel my neighbours will hate me after having the bike running and backfiring in the garden all day!.

Weirdly I've also noticed smoke coming out of the carbs after I stop the bike to adjust the choke. It appears to be random which cylinder it comes from but I'm assuming its just where the cylinder was on a compression stroke as the engine stopped and the gases are leaking back up the carb?

Any suggestions for solving this issue? I'd like to avoid buying new choke plungers if possible as money is a bit tight after buying the bike but I will if I have too. I'm yet to balance the carbs as I figured it would not cause the engine to run this bad if they're only out of sync but I can attempt that if needed. Everything looked ok within the carbs, the diaphragms weren't at all damaged so I'm a bit stumped really.

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Are you certain the rubber seals inside the Air filter have not got munged on re-installation. Also Balancing the Carbs can help and make sure the front Vacuum spigot cover is there.

More info here SuzukiSV650

1 - 2 of 2 Posts