Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the handlebar on my 2001 sv650 today. I finally figured out how to put the signal/headlight/choke switch box together but the choke is stock in place and can't be pulled. Anything I should keep an eye on while putting the box back together?

Related question. When I try to start the bike the starter motor turns over properly, I hear the healthy ignition sound but the bike doesn't start. Opening the throttle has absolutely not effect (not even a change in sound). Can this be related to the choke?

Oktay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's the little two piece wire that goes into the socket underneat the clutch, then it is plugged in. I think that's what shows that you're in fact pulling the clutch in while hitting the starter correct? So. Yeah. Engine won't crank without that in place.

Any other ideas?

N

·
0 Posts
It won't crank if the clutch interlock is unplugged. I would go back through what you did and double check everything, and defintiely figure out why the choke isn't working. It may not be related, but there's a good chance it is.

When you say "healthy ignition sound" what do you mean?

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the engine sounds like it's about to start. Usually when the engine is cold, it will sound like this then on the 2nd try (3rd tops) it will start. But this time I tried 5-6 times and it didn't start. Since I will have to revisit the choke anyway, I didn't try any further. I'll take another look tomorrow when it's light out :)

Oktay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. I was searching the forums about the stock choke problem (at this point i'm hoping it's not stuck at the carbs, since i've been messing with the left hand switch box, that's is more likely to be the issue) and I've seen somebody mention the little spring that's held in place with a small screw and a little metal piece. I had taken that screw off by mistake and the spring fell. However I did put the spring and the screw back. Is there a proper way to do this? I just put it back and screwed it tight in place. Should the choke have been pulled when I did that or something?

Oktay

·
Registered
24 Posts
the piece that fellout is what keeps the choke lever in the position when it is "on" if you have it installed in backwards it will bind. Just remove it and re-install it. it is hard to explaing which way it goes ,but simply spring goes into the hole of the plastic square and the "high" side towards the back or just keep trying till the choke works cause it can only go in 4 ways. hope that helps.
I dont know about your throttle problem
SportSV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SportSV,

I had actually looked at it again, couldn't figure it out and given up. Thanks a lot for your input. I will definetely try what you said and see what happens. About the throttle issue. I guess it is safe - at least for now - to assume there's no issue since the throttle opens with some resistance and closes by itself just as it should when released. I guess there's no reason to think it doesn't work at this point.

Thanks again.

oktay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally some progress.

I unscrewed the little screw that goes directly into the choke and untightened it a little bit which seemed to give a little bit more wiggle room. Afterwards, a few slow but firm pulls actually released the choke cable. I can now pull the choke open all the way, with a catch. :) I still can't figure out how the spring fits into this picture so the choke will not stay open. I had to keep the choke open while pulling the clutch in. You need like 14 hands to do it but it can be done. As long as the choke was on the bike gave the signal of "i am about to start" and it did start on the second try. (Why my bike won't start without the choke open on a 80 degree day I don't know.. might be bad gas in the tank or something. It is kind of low)

It runs a little weird though. First I had to tune the idle speed again. Afterwards in neutral when I open the throttle it threw out some smoke after 5K rpm.. While I close the throttle, it sort of hesitates for a second or two at 2Krpm before coming back to regular idle 1K+change. I will change the oil tomorrow.

The geometry of the bike feels a little different. I hear a lot more cables squeaking when I turn the handlebar right/left and I feel like the handlebar is not straight. I did replace the old handlebar (which is when this whole choke thing started) with a stock one in perfect shape. The bike has been knocked down violently enough to bend the handlebar on the right side, while parked. I hope I don't have a misaligned fork or anything like that. I would know nothing about how to fix something that huge :)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Oktay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts