Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man..I knew this was supposed to be a decent day weather wise, but when I stepped outside at 6:15 am this morning for my commute to work it was frosty. The 40min ride in was just bearable (no heated clothing here)
The ride home was much more pleasant and took me through a long loop of the Cleve. Metroparks from Solon, through Tinker's Creek and then winding south through the Cuyahoga Valley all the way home. The roads here are still sketchy so watch out...lots of gravel in the oddest places.
Stopped to let slower moving cages get ahead and took a few pics

new sock!

It's nearly time to start making this a daily occurance.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice pics Dan! How was the long 180 in the Bedford Reservation by Tinkers creek? I love that section of road starting at the long 180 down to the ice cream shop.
Still has the wet patch dead in the middle where runoff water comes down the incline...still a great section thou...I took two loops through the Brecksville section..each time through I get the chills because I dumped it there long ago hauling ass at night on one of my Yamaha Visions...broke my leg all up, etc etc. All these years later I am amazed (and now with the Gixxer F end REALLY amazed) at how easily I take those curves at speeds that would have seemd ludicrous back then (at least not without seriously upsetting your line constantly because of crap suspension)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Still has the wet patch dead in the middle where runoff water comes down the incline...still a great section thou...I took two loops through the Brecksville section..each time through I get the chills because I dumped it there long ago hauling ass at night on one of my Yamaha Visions...broke my leg all up, etc etc. All these years later I am amazed (and now with the Gixxer F end REALLY amazed) at how easily I take those curves at speeds that would have seemd ludicrous back then (at least not without seriously upsetting your line constantly because of crap suspension)
Soon as the weather gets a little warmer you are gonna have to show me some of the hidden secrets from over that way. There has to be some nice roads I have missed.

That's great the swap has been positive for you. Sure looks real nice to with the black fork tubes. It just looks like they were meant for your bike. Maybe some day i will do it right now I'm happy with how she is.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great the swap has been positive for you. Sure looks real nice to with the black fork tubes. It just looks like they were meant for your bike. Maybe some day i will do it right now I'm happy with how she is.
Well if you ever decide to do it, I'll be glad to help. I had it all planned out so well that there really were very few hiccups or need for parts I didn't already have ready to go. Big props to D'Ecosse who helped a lot via emails.
The black wheels and fender/hugger really set it off well IMHO

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well if you ever decide to do it, I'll be glad to help. I had it all planned out so well that there really were very few hiccups or need for parts I didn't already have ready to go. Big props to D'Ecosse who helped a lot via emails.
The black wheels and fender/hugger really set it off well IMHO
Did you go from stock forks or modified stock forks before you did the swap. I know the brakes a much better but was wondering if the gixxer forks are really that much better than stock forks with springs, emulators and oil. What you opinion?

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you go from stock forks or modified stock forks before you did the swap. I know the brakes a much better but was wondering if the gixxer forks are really that much better than stock forks with springs, emulators and oil. What you opinion?
I never did the emulators, just Sonic Springs and heavier oil in the stock forks. I did have emulators in one of my Visions so I have a good idea of how they change the feel of the dampening qualities. The change from stock to the springs/oil was mostly felt when braking with less dive. At most speeds though the stiffer springs made the front far less compliant for just plain plushness.
The change from Springs&oil to these forks was like night and day...and I am riding with the compression and rebound dampeneing set at factory recommended settings for a rider my weight so I havn't even begun to dial them in. Maybe I got lucky because it feels **** good. Smoother and smoother the faster you go. I compliments the feel of the ZX636 rear shock well (I am 230 lbs). A touch stiff over slow, sharp edges but stable as a rock at anything over 30 or so. Holds it's line supremely well through turns when encountering bumps. And the brakes...those beautiful big brakes. True one finger stopping. All in all a fine fit. I am running the legs down flush with the upper clamp to make up a bit for the shorter leg length..as well as running a 70 front tire.
Look...for what these parts cost used (there are a TON of crashed Gixxers out there) it is WELL worth it. I also sold my stock parts quickly and recovered most of the cost (well...about 70%)

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...if you do what I did and take your time accumulating the correct parts you can start now...and then when you are ready, it can be done easily in a weekend. Just pick one that has crappy weather and you're set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts