Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I thought I would ask if anyone in the states in between (Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York) had any suggestions for routes, bars, restaurants, cafes, sights, and possibly a yard (or campsite) to camp for a night .

Also, if anyone is interested in riding along for any part of the trip you are more than welcome. Just PM me anytime or email [email protected].

This is a very low budget trip so any help is much appreciated. I will try to keep a detailed blog of the trip with pictures. Maybe you will be in it. Thanks again.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Are you interested in making time or wasting time?
The route is pretty flat from Chicago to east of Cleveland. You might want to burn your first day and get into Ohio ASAP to allow more time to wander through the Appalachaians in Ohio, PA and NY.

Both US 6 and US322 run from Cleveland through Pa., mostly through every small town. US 6 exits PA. closer to NYC, but you can jump off US 322-> US22 and wander north to hit NYC, rather than Philly. They are main east-west non-interstates, so traffic would be slower and the roads designed for travel ease, not entertainment. But you could use them (and I-80) as main arteries from which to make entertaining excursions.

My house is rather full right now, so I can't offer a couch. Sorry.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No worries on the couch. We were more or less thinking a yard or farm land if need be, but more importantly if we break down and can fix it ourselves. You guys rock thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What kind of camping are you thinking? I bought myself a hammock which is really comfortable versus a tent and takes less time to setup and pack back up and way less room in the baggage department.

What part of Chicago are you from? I'm in the Jefferson Park neighborhood.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am definitely looking at hammocks in the future. For now we got a two person tent that is intended for packing tight on bikes. I am in lake in the hills, 1hr west of downtown. My buddy is in Elgin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second 144. Its an outstanding road and you can easily get to the PA grand canyon, Pine Creek Gorge, from there which is definitely a worthwhile stop. Im located in State College, PA and have a yard you are more than welcome to use.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks. And believe me I have had no hits on advrider.com as of yet. These are the best members here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah been through Indiana last year when I went to mid Ohio vintage motorcycle days. Your right it was pretty brutal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Starting mileage and time.

Danny and I leaving from Lake in the Hills, IL. He has the speedy.

First stop was Gary,IN. McDonald's breakfast.

Also had to go to AutoZone for an 8mm wrench. The speedy's oil pan bolts get loose.

Stop in IN.

And another.

Now in OH.

Made it to PA. FINALLY.

Found a cool campsite in Erie,PA on the beach on Lake Erie for $25.

As we were packing up to continue to Niagara...

We saw this...

And this...

This was on a Sunday, nothing open. The next day was Labor Day, nothing open. We decided since we would lose a day that we would back track and check out Cleveland. Not quite NYC, but it would have to do. Now this was 150 or so miles on the highway. This is what we came up with...

Gorilla duct tape is AMAZING! Everyone should keep some in their bags. Anyway we made it to a motel6 in Willoughby Hills, Oh.

The next day we checked out and sat in the Motel6 parking lot for hours calling every shop in Cleveland to see if we can get two tires slapped on.

We finally get a hold of one shop owner who happened to be working on Labor Day. What luck. It was a lawnmower sales/repair store/ motorcycle store.

This guy was awesome. The most fun on this trip was in this shop shooting the **** with Allen and his son Jason. They had quite the stories.

Bike lifted.

With new rubber, we headed to check out the city of Cleveland. Coming from Chicago the city seemed quite small. But we took some pics.
At the browns stadium

On the street.

Before stopping for the night we had to get some green tea. Haha, we thought it was funny.

The next day was rain, rain, rain all the way home.

Ending total mileage 3 days later. Fun trip full of surprises.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Might be easier if you can resize the photos...kinda hard to see.

But looks like a fun trip. Those tires :O

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Great job on the trip, I knew from the first pic that the triple was going to have tire issues (tires looked bald). Anyway, glad you guys made it safe. Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looks like a fun trip. Your buddy is really lucky the storms didn't hit with those tires. I hope he doesn't plan any more 1k+ mi trips on bald tires :sbmfacepalm:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great job on the trip, I knew from the first pic that the triple was going to have tire issues (tires looked bald). Anyway, glad you guys made it safe. Cheers.
I remember mentioning that to him before we left. Which makes me just as responsible since I would be stuck with him.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like a fun trip. Your buddy is really lucky the storms didn't hit with those tires. I hope he doesn't plan any more 1k+ mi trips on bald tires :sbmfacepalm:
Lesson learned, the guys on his speed triple forums were much less forgiving than you guys on this forum. Haha.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for posting up the pics.

I rode to St. Louis from Chicago solo and I packed kind of heavy as well. How did you guys handle the baggage, did you leave it on the bikes when you went to eat or did you take it with you. I kept on taking everything off because I thought someone might steal it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts