Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked my valves - all were within spec except one (there were a few that were right on the limit of .004") . I pulled the exhaust cam on the rear cylinder, took out the shim. This is the weird thing - the shim says 168 on it! The manual only states shims in sizes of 5's (150, 155, 160, etc).

Any ideas as to what that's about?

A

·
0 Posts
This is no big deal, from the factory the shims don't come in multiples of 5. The replacement shims come in multiples of 5. Seen it plenty of times.

Ari

·
Registered
419 Posts
Agreed. The factory uses smaller increments, I assume to get more exact clearances. But stocking 1mm increments in dealer parts inventories would be a nightmare.

T

·
0 Posts
Randy S said:
Agreed. The factory uses smaller increments, I assume to get more exact clearances. But stocking 1mm increments in dealer parts inventories would be a nightmare.
168 is 1.68mm.with 1mm increments you would not be able to adjust.
they come in .025 mm increments.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well then, I'm not going to let this one slide:
they come in .025 mm increments.
Don't they actually come in .05 increments? ;D

BTW, your posts have helped me so many times that I would never pick on you.

T

·
0 Posts
Randy S said:
BTW, your posts have helped me so many times that I would never pick on you.
pussy ;D
depends where you buy them.they go like this 140,142,145,148,150......
honda,suzuki,yamaha....most use same size shims,just different range.
you can buy them from aftermarket places like parts unlimited.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TWF said:
pussy  ;D
depends where you buy them.they go like this 140,142,145,148,150......
honda,suzuki,yamaha....most use same size shims,just different range.
you can buy them from aftermarket places like parts unlimited.....
Are the shim sizes (diameter) the same? Can I get shims from a Yamaha dealer that should fit the suzuki? Or do I need suzuki branded shims?? I need a reply ASAP on this one, otherwise I'm going to spend a lot of time driving for lunch tomorrow that I don't need to do! Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
yes,they are all same.some models use different size but 7.5 mm shims what you need can come from any brand(honda,yama,suzi)or aftermarket.as long they are 7.5 diameter they all work.

A

·
0 Posts
Not my experience that they're all the same. Doing a complete valve setup from scratch on my YZF750, someone told my Honda 900RR shims would fit. Unh uh.

Ari

1 - 14 of 14 Posts