Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a TPS on the 1st gen.. it probably has something to do with the fuel pump on the SV rather than gravity/suction fed systems... so the bike would need to know when to feed fuel to the carbs... I dunno... it is just a guess... here is a little info I could find on it... some may know all about it, but there isn't a lot of info... I'm not sure if it makes the same impact as on the 2nd gen... so that is probably why...

I just found it... check the 1st gen Suzuki service manual everyone has from the torrent.... Chapter 4 page 33 under "Fuel and Lubrication System" It tells you how to position it too.... check 4-33 (I think it is page 200 in the PDF file from the link below) It is adjusted with a volt/oms meter and measuring resistance... or something like that...

If you don't have the manual here is a link to an online PDF (warning it is large and takes a long time to download and display as it is about 73MB and slow to d/l) you can find it at a number of places, however this one is at the following address.. or you can d/l it in the torrents...
http://www.carlsalter.com/aaman/Suzu...99-'01.pdf

You can also look at this link.... it talks about de-restricting carbs on the Brit/European 1st gen bikes and they show a section detaching the TPS

The bike has an electronic fuel pump not gravity/suction fed so it makes sense for the bike to know when to feed more gas to the carbs..

Anyway here's the link..

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=62081

This link also mentions the TPS http://www.suzukicycles.org/SV-serie...0-SV650S.shtml

You can also check the Clymer manual for Suzuki SV650, 1999-2002
under the following:
CHAPTER EIGHT / FUEL, EMISSION CONTROL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
Carburetor operation / Carburetor / Pilot screw / Fuel level / Carburetor float height / Throttle position sensor / Carburetor heater (U.K. models) / Throttle cable replacement / Starter cable replacement / Air box / Fuel tank / Fuel valve / Fuel pump / PAIR (air supply) system / Crankcase breather system / Evaporative emission control system (California models only) / Exhaust system

I believe it is just on the rear carb and the part is 13580-19F00
I think that is the part anyway.... if you check RonAyers.com

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think it controls ignition timing more than fuel delivery. FYI: 1st gen bikes have a vacuum operated fuel pump, not electronic. The 2nd gen fuel injected models have an electric fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it controls ignition timing more than fuel delivery. FYI: 1st gen bikes have a vacuum operated fuel pump, not electronic. The 2nd gen fuel injected models have an electric fuel pump.

possibly.. I have no idea... I just ran into a few posts while I was looking for the TPS rundown on the 03+ bikes and some harped on how the 99-02 sv was carbed.. so it couldn't have a TPS... so I found this stuff and decided to post it... for some reference anyway... :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
The TPS tells the brain-box what the throttle position is so that the engine load can be calculated and then the ignition timing will be set accordingly. This will allow the use of lower octane fuels without detonation and also is supposed to give smoother throttle response.
Kawasaki's been using TPSs on their carb'd bikes since the mid to late '90s, and before that they had a few models with vacuum lines running straight into the ignition module as a method of determining engine load.
My '01 DRZ400E is a carb'd dirtbike and it also runs a TPS for the ignition system...
Weazel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts